View Full Version : i make a server other can join but i cant join in me own server

blackdead
08-14-2011, 10:20 PM
i make a server other can join but i cant join in me own server ,, why happen this?

shorun
08-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Got logfiles or something we can use to see what went wrong?

blackdead
08-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Got logfiles or something we can use to see what went wrong?

here image https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/153/sinttuloepi.png/

me server is 999 ping

shorun
08-14-2011, 11:29 PM
i see.. are you hosting from the same LAN or pc?

shorun
08-15-2011, 12:05 AM
ok, a hint to everyone.
If you run a server on your own local lan network, and you can see the machine on vaultmpd.exe when using masterserver vaultmp.com, others can join your server but you yourself cant, the machine says connect, then lost connection. here's what's wrong:
*Theory*
You cannot connect to a machine in your own LAN using your internet ip, routers cannot handle this properly and your connection will fail. This is why other ppl can join, but you yourself cant. This has nothing to do with vaultmp, it's just the way NAT routing works. According to NAT, source and destination CANNOT be the same.

so, if you want to connect to your own local lan server, you need to find a way to connect to your LAN ip, not your internet ip.
*Theory*

Fix in practice.. now this is hard, and needs to be tested to make sure it actually works..
First, enable querry on your dedicated server, so you can querry your own machine rather then vaultmp.com. for others it all remains the same, this is only for the ones connecting trough their own LAN.

So your syntax changed from "-a vaultmp.com" to "-q -a vaultmp.com"
Now, in vaultmpd.exe (the client) you change "master" to your machine's LAN ip, and you querry it.
Now you should be able to join your own server.

To make sure this actually works i'm going to test this out, and report my findings here.

Test results:
Ok, for me it auto-replaced my internet ip with my local lan ip. why it did this idk, but i think my router might have something to do with this, because it should *NOT* work, so i'm suprised...
I cant test this further, because it auto-translates this, and thus i can't reproduce the problem. however, -querry does not seem to work, setting -q or -querry does not allow direct querry to the machine.
However, my dedicated server clearly stated "incomming connection from 127.0.0.1" And not an internet ip, and it worked.. i will continue to look into this, when i have my testing mate back, he's in bed atm. maybe the issue was that my localhost ip itself was reported to vaultmp.com, wich would make this entire test a fail.

to be continued...

foxtacles
08-15-2011, 12:43 AM
Theory is correct. vaultmp should resolve the external IP address retrieved from the master to 127.0.0.1 though (in the described test scenario), so you should actually be able to connect to your local server, even if announce is set to vaultmp.com ;)

The -query parameter is currently not what it ought to be and it might be broken as well (I can't actually remember, it's more than half a year ago from the time I wrote the server-master stuff). If there's any problem, I will fix it ASAP, going to take a look at it when I've some time :)

shorun
08-15-2011, 01:47 AM
well, if -q supposed to make your dedicated server report itself when you fill it in as "master", then no, it doesnt work.
Querrying my own pc when im hosting does not make it show in the list, with -q on.

foxtacles
08-15-2011, 01:02 PM
-q is so you can query the server without before querying the master ;) But currently it's pointless, because there is no option to directly query a dedicated server in the program.