View Full Version : Geck/Server script linking

zamp
12-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Not sure if this is possible yet but I'd like to see a way to make game mod files call scripts on the server. Let's say you hit E while pointing at a toolbox in the world. This would call Use(id) script where you could check for the given id (or type) and do whatever you want (search the box etc.)

Same thing for dialogues (computer or an npc) wouldn't hurt either.

foxtacles
12-22-2012, 01:11 PM
I've been thinking about this as well, but didn't come to a conclusion whether this is needed.

If I understand you right, you are talking about ESP scripts calling into the server? Your example can be implemented by introducing a game event which will be sent to the server (just like other callbacks - i.e. OnPlayerUse(player, object)). This doesn't require a client-side script.

zamp
12-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Yeah a callback should work just fine but I still think there should be a way to add your own object types into the game? (btw I don't know anything about geck..)
Then you could just check if the object used was the one you provided in geck.

foxtacles
12-22-2012, 04:45 PM
I try to shift as much as possible to the server side as this is much easier to handle. Instead of adding / modifying stuff with a ESP mod (GECK), you should do the same with a script. There will be means to automatically read in data (like references) from installed ESPs on the server though, so you can reference newly added objects from the GECK inside of scripts (as long as they are not created dynamically - in this case, it must be completely replicated with a script instead of with a ESP mod)

zamp
12-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Ah I see. So you use the Geck to build the static world but add computers etc with scripts?

foxtacles
12-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Well, for vaultmp I don't need the GECK at all (apart from some research). But basically, yes, that is the way the GECK should be used to create mods in conjunction with vaultmp. Computers are static objects though, which vaultmp can read and identify in full (not yet, but that is planned).

You need scripts do dynamically add and change objects, like NPC or creature spawns.