View Full Version : Fixboy 3000?

Dantiko
08-30-2011, 05:40 PM
I think the topic's name stands for itself.

cerber
08-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Oh yeah, awesome idea! FOnliners know what item is that. :P

How do you imagine fixboy 3000? Will it be connected directly to PipBoy or what?

Dantiko
08-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Don't need to be sarcastic, but, where will every equipment come from, the wastes?
And the Fixboy would be a new tab on the Pip Boy, a new button.

CouncilOfDave
08-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Or we can use workbenches.

:o

Dantiko
08-30-2011, 05:52 PM
With which materials?There isn't a way for people to craft a 10mm pistol, for example, on Fallout 3, only the schematics stuff.
Hm, is there a mod for a fixboy?

CouncilOfDave
08-30-2011, 05:54 PM
You don't mod much, do you?

You can easily make a mod to craft all existing items in game, as well as any items added by that mod.

In fact Im already more than halfway done with a crafting system mod specifically for MP, that like FOnline, uses profession ranks.

Never fear, a workbench will work fine.

ETA - the mod I'm working on is for New Vegas, but the same can be done with Fallout 3.

Dantiko
08-30-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm not a modder, but thanks for the info, I was worried about that, and...the trash used to craft?

CouncilOfDave
08-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Resources? Depends on the item. There are plenty of things in-game such as scrap metal, pots/pans, etc that can be used.

Dantiko
08-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Just don't make mistakes, in putting a coffee mug to craft a fat man :D
What I meant is: make sense when asking which resources will be used.

Volumed
08-30-2011, 06:06 PM
A dude who sales stuff is good enough for me. :p

Dantiko
08-30-2011, 06:07 PM
And if someday we run out of caps, fixboy will be better for newbies.

Volumed
08-30-2011, 06:15 PM

Ok that is true, am very curious how servers are going to work with stuff because if you take something it will not come back..

Maby time can be a fix that stuff come back in some weeks.. But getting rich will be very easy .. So many things to think about the game was never made for mp.

CouncilOfDave
08-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Well, obviously I'm not going to make a Fat Man craftable from 5 coffee mugs. lol That's just too stupid, even for me to do.

Here's a basic rundown of how I've been doing it.

I made it perk based. Certain skills and SPECIAL points are required to be eligible for the perks.

I broke it down to Small Guns, Big Guns, Armor, Meds/Chems, Melee/Throwing, and Energy Weapons.

Each profession has between 1-4 ranks, depending on how many items are listed in that class. So, like Melee weapons won't have 4 ranks, obviously... but Small Guns, and Energy EASILY have enough for 4 ranks.

When you have the skills to get the perk, you take that perk when you level. Having that perk allows you to craft the items on that profession list.

Say, Small Guns 1 lets you craft 10mm pistols, 9mm pistols, single shotguns... simple stuff. Whereas SG4 would be special weapons like the All American, Gobi Campaign Rifle, etc.

I did my best to have everything make sense, and when I get back to working on it I'll iron some kinks out of it.

As far as resources, in a MP game that depends heavily on looting, I set the respawn time down from 72 hours, to 12 hours (game time), and set most of the "loot" containers to respawn. I added some items to loot lists, etc.

Like FOnline, you have to combine some resources to make other resources. I used similar things, like Metal Parts, Good Metal Parts, and Alloys... all made from different types of metal items.

So, for instance to make a 10mm pistol you would need X# scrap metal. But to make an Assault Carbine you would need X# scrap, X# good metal parts, X# alloys, etc...

I'm probably not the only one who will do this, either.

SOMEONE will do something, and probably better than me, to be sure.

But there is no need for a Fix Boy, workbenches are plentiful enough, and some can easily be added to area's where some may be needed.

CouncilOfDave
08-30-2011, 06:20 PM

Ok that is true, am very curious how servers are going to work with stuff because if you take something it will not come back..

Maby time can be a fix that stuff come back in some weeks.. But getting rich will be very easy .. So many things to think about the game was never made for mp.

Stuff out in the open game world won't come back, but things found in containers, or on enemies (Raiders, etc) will be able to respawn.

;D

Volumed
08-30-2011, 06:23 PM

Stuff out in the open game world won't come back, but things found in containers, or on enemies (Raiders, etc) will be able to respawn.

;D

Yes ofcourse that is a good point.

CouncilOfDave
08-30-2011, 06:27 PM
There will have to be a lot of changes made to the game through mods, for sure. As you noted, it was built as a single player game, so a lot of things won't work with MP. The most obvious things are nuking Megaton, etc.

However, having enough resources available to support a bunch of players is one concern, but so are things like whether or not certain NPCs can be killed.

They'll have to be set essential, if they're a merchant, or other important NPC. I didn't like that there were so many "essential" characters in FO3, but for MP it's a must.

If anything, it would ruin the game atmosphere if a few players killed everyone in Rivet City, but the only people still alive and well were the vendors.

Almost all of this can be handled through mods, though.

Volumed
08-30-2011, 06:52 PM
There will have to be a lot of changes made to the game through mods, for sure. As you noted, it was built as a single player game, so a lot of things won't work with MP. The most obvious things are nuking Megaton, etc.

However, having enough resources available to support a bunch of players is one concern, but so are things like whether or not certain NPCs can be killed.

They'll have to be set essential, if they're a merchant, or other important NPC. I didn't like that there were so many "essential" characters in FO3, but for MP it's a must.

If anything, it would ruin the game atmosphere if a few players killed everyone in Rivet City, but the only people still alive and well were the vendors.

Almost all of this can be handled through mods, though.

Yes, i hope for hardcore role play servers with many rules.

Dantiko
08-30-2011, 09:05 PM
And "protected" towns that no one can pull a gun on it(to prevent town control on all towns).

shorun
08-30-2011, 09:50 PM
depending on the gamemode.. rp servers would have some kind of job system, DM servers would give you caps/kill. or something like that.

or certain factions have respawning gun cabinets, who knows. it's all to the modder/gamemode maker. there's allways a solution lad.