View Full Version : Can't connect to own server/Misc masterserver issues

Rhomaion
04-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Hey guys, I've been a lurker on here for a few years. Having gotten excited about the new 'Gary' releases, I finally convinced a friend to give them a spin with me.

However, we quickly encountered some irritating issues. First off, we managed to connect to the 20 player EX test server just fine. However, whenever one of us would connect and then the other followed suit, whoever was there first would automatically disconnect or crash. It successfully saved our locations when we exited and we would occasionally see the other person's vacant body or a ghost of them run around for a moment before disappearing, but we simply could not manage to get both of us actively into the server at one time.

So, we figured, maybe it was just the server. I downloaded the server files and booted up my own after extracting it into my FO3 directory. When I started it up it would load and then repeatedly show "Lost connection to master server...".

I exited and checked the INI, and the master server was set to 127.0.0.1, even though it claims to default to vaultmp.com. I changed it to vaultmp.com and it worked from thereon; I successfully connected to the master server after starting my server again, my friend saw my server in the list, and he connected to it successfully and ran around for a little while. However, even though I could see my own server in the list, I could not connect to it no matter what I tried. "Failed to connect to the server".

My ping for my own server also reads 65535. I figure this may be some sort of a NAT issue, but how do I get around it? Should I change the host IP to something? I already tried my default gateway, internal, and external IP's but none worked.

Thanks in advance.

foxtacles
04-06-2013, 11:28 PM
I will try to reproduce the issue with the master server.

Can you try to host a master server on your own? Change the master setting in the .ini file back to 127.0.0.1 and run vaultmaster.exe. Tell your friend to query your external IP (or, if in LAN, internal IP) and see if he is able to connect to your server.

Rhomaion
04-07-2013, 02:24 AM
Starting up the vaultmaster.exe brings up a command prompt that displays "Initializing RakNet..." interminably.

I'm going to leave it running for an hour while I go cook dinner. I'm running Windows 7 x64 on an Intel Core 2 Duo, if that's any help. Early on when my friend and I were testing I realized the issue might have had to do with me not having the latest C++ Redistributable, so I updated that, but the issues persisted; I'll ask him to get on later and see if a reboot and whatnot can solve anything.

foxtacles
04-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Starting up the vaultmaster.exe brings up a command prompt that displays "Initializing RakNet..." interminably.

That is correct. Did you also start the vaultserver? (master setting in .ini file needs to be set to 127.0.0.1 before)