View Full Version : (Revision 147) Test release

foxtacles
09-09-2011, 01:33 AM
Since the 2nd of August I've been busy with rewriting the whole mod. Now it has a solid foundation and code base which was lacking previously. The initial development of vaultmp dates back to the 11th of September 2010 (https://www.brickster.net/index_2.html (https://www.brickster.net/vaultmp-index_2.html)). I never planned to seriously develop it for such a long time. It was meant as a somewhat more professional school project. As I found out that the interest in such a mod is huge, I continued working on it, but it wasn't properly designed to be able to support advanced features such as syncing of NPCs or inventories. This is the reason I basically started from the ground up.

Revision 145 is the first "release" of this (with release I refer to the fact that I provide pre-compiled binaries; the mod is open-source and was accessible all the time). It is for testing only. In comparison to revision 134, it has even less game features, due to the fact that I spent most time on coding the behind-the-scenes systems, not real multiplayer functionality. Before I start re-implementing old and many new features, I'd like to parallel make sure that users can find bugs (which are existent in new systems by nature). This is why I release revision 145.

What you cannot expect from this release (in comparison to revision 134):

Inventory syncing
Syncing of player death event
Proper cell syncing (while working, adjacent exterior cells are still treated as interior cells basically)

What is different to previous releases:

vaultserver command line options are gone; use vaultserver.ini configuration instead
PAWN has been updated to the most recent version; vaultmp's implementation now uses 64bit cells

What is new with this release:

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion support
You can now use vaultmp.ini configuration file to manually add "favourite" servers to the client
The client / server now supports mods and file downloading; vaultmp will automatically set up the mod load order specified by the server (which overrides your local mod loading settings!)
C++ scripting
Timers (both in PAWN and C++)
Some scripting callbacks and functions (the more interesting functions are not there yet)

vaultmp now features a clear structure of game models. The concept behind this is mostly important to scripters. I will provide an introduction to that in another post. There is a lot of stuff to document, I hope I can write some wiki articles the next days. Here is the full list of changes:

Bethesda API framework (API class)
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion support
Re-design of Pipe class
Interface (based on the old command execution layer)
Value container class, Lockable extension class
Network layer (NetworkClient, NetworkServer, PacketTypes)
Exception system (VaultException class)
Re-design of vaultmp.dll to work with the API
PAWN update to version 4.0.4548
Revised scripting architecture: now supporting n-amount of C++ / PAWN scripts
Mod support (no registering of new game content yet) and "Synchronize" server feature
vaultserver.ini configuration file
Reorganized class hierarchy
GameFactory class
Container class, Object class, Item class
vaultmp.ini configuration file
Rewritten game synchronization code
CriticalSection usage, controlled through GameFactory
Injecting code changed to support Steam versions properly
Resolved CriticalSection deadlocks
Native C++ / PAWN timers running in the main thread
PAWN cell size is now 64bit (use packed strings!)
Scripting callbacks: OnActorValueChange, OnActorValueChange, OnActorBaseValueChange, OnActorStateChange
Scripting functions: CreateTimer, KillTimer, GetPlayerPos, GetPlayerAngle, GetPlayerValue, GetPlayerBaseValue, GetPlayerCell, ValueToString, AxisToString, AnimToString
VaultFunctor class
Unix server compatibility (not fully tested)
Some changes to scripting callbacks

SynHD
09-09-2011, 02:51 AM
NEVERMIND

savino1234
09-09-2011, 03:17 AM
Thanks man!!! You've given us SOMETHING to put our grubby paws on lol. Lord knows we've been yearning for it.

Lokies
09-09-2011, 05:15 AM
I <3 Recylcer Thank you For this update

Lorenc
09-09-2011, 12:41 PM
64 bits :O

You should use the old version of pawn, it uses 32. But I heard using the char array will make arrays 8 bit.

Very nice recycler!

Is there SetTimerForPlayer(const timername[], interval, bool:repeating, parameters[], {Float: ...:})?

CTCCoco
09-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks Recycler, I will test and report all bugs soon.

jam
09-09-2011, 01:52 PM
aaahhhhhhh :D, sorry the jizz was cold on my leg

Volumed
09-09-2011, 02:11 PM
That is nice keep going.

CTCCoco
09-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Well... I tested it some minutes with my friend, and I don't know if it's our problem but there is still "sync-teleport". We have some troubles installing it, but we finally run the game properly. When you die now, you respawn.

I can't tell too much, because this is a revision for prepare the mod for future features (npc sync and other gameplay things).

washington711
09-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Is there any sort of bug report thread or anything like that?, Me and my friend have been disconnection as we connect to the server, so if there's a place i can post a log or something it could be helpful.

foxtacles
09-09-2011, 02:30 PM
https://www.vaultmp.com/index.php?topic=5.msg5#msg5

Well... I tested it some minutes with my friend, and I don't know if it's our problem but there is still "sync-teleport". We have some troubles installing it, but we finally run the game properly. When you die now, you respawn.

It should actually be better than before. Anyway there's still some aspects to optimize. Can you somehow provide a video on how the sync looks?

Despierto
09-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Very cool, keep up the good work. ;)

BarnyBeer
09-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Recycler rulez!

Nice work!

foxtacles
09-09-2011, 03:03 PM
There seem to be some problems with file downloading. Sometimes it's working, sometimes vaultmp just crashes. I wasn't able to find the root of that problem yet, so you will just have to try until it works :-\

CTCCoco
09-09-2011, 03:29 PM
https://www.vaultmp.com/index.php?topic=5.msg5#msg5

It should actually be better than before. Anyway there's still some aspects to optimize. Can you somehow provide a video on how the sync looks?

I will do a video soon.

EDIT: Video uploaded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iMHEUXOXSo

foxtacles
09-12-2011, 05:19 PM
I implemented a way to detect if the player uses XY moving combinations (W-A, W-D, S-A, S-D). This should solve some desyncs. Going to release another update the next days, then ;)

CTCCoco
09-12-2011, 05:40 PM
I implemented a way to detect if the player uses XY moving combinations (W-A, W-D, S-A, S-D). This should solve some desyncs. Going to release another update the next days, then ;)

Thanks, I will do a comparation video to see how it was improved.

Dantiko
09-12-2011, 09:20 PM
? I love your job and this mod ?

foxtacles
09-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Here's a quick update which should fix some bugs. Note that there is still a lot to fix, I will post the bugs which I'm aware of in the bug report thread. These will be fixed as soon as possible

Dantiko
09-13-2011, 10:39 PM
File syncing works, but there is a problem, I can't see the progress or what is being downloaded(I only downloaded the save file until now), it only asked me if it could overwrite the file that was there, well, I also gotta click twice on the master query for it to download the servers, not once, idk why.

foxtacles
09-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Update:

I currently have no idea of how the sync could be further improved - actually in my tests (I can only test Fallout 3, because Steam doesn't allow me to run Oblivion / New Vegas on two computers at once) the sync is quite OK (for now). At this point it's clear that the project is in very need of some more developers. It's easier to faster find better solutions to problems such as the sync with a larger development team. I'm still alone with most parts of the mod :( Anyway, maybe I'll get this one idea which makes all the difference. Let's hope so ;D

I know there are problems with TES: Oblivion (the sync is worse and the game randomly crashes) which need to be addressed. This has priority now. Not sure about New Vegas. I will also finally begin with re-coding the inventory system and introducing first aspects of NPC and combat sync now ;) Furthermore I got a lot of exciting features in mind which I'll try to implement, but I won't reveal them until I've got something working ;) Expect a new video soon 8)

I can't see the progress or what is being downloaded(I only downloaded the save file until now), it only asked me if it could overwrite the file that was there

Not a bug, but the lack of a feature :D The progress bar was originally intended to show exactly that file downloading progress, but I forgot about it. Thanks for the hint, I'll make it work as expected in one of the next updates.

I also gotta click twice on the master query for it to download the servers, not once, idk why.

It's working fine for me, and I never experienced such a bug. If possible, can you give more detail about it? ;)

CTCCoco
09-19-2011, 11:55 AM
I tested again, but I think my game is bugged, I will reinstall it, because when my friend Akrakorn (and I suposse somebody else) is inside the server, I can't enter (I already posted this bug). I will do a better test later with the game reinstalled.

The sync is, maybe, a little better, but still player have random disappear, the player get invisible many times, appears and disappears all the time like the video that I have made.

It is my problem or it is like your tests, Recycler?

foxtacles
09-21-2011, 01:27 AM
I'll make a video with my tests soon ;)

Alatusa
09-22-2011, 03:24 PM
keep up the good work!

masterjedi343
09-24-2011, 03:42 AM
What are the test server IPs? I'd like to try it out. Or is there one up automatically? MasterQuery(whatever that is) gives me a error.

foxtacles
09-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Three test servers are online. What error do you get?

huleyn
10-06-2011, 03:20 PM
How can we play LAN?
Well, actually, don't answer.
Me and my friends can just trick the game to lan just as we did in Minecraft.
I just wanted to ask if there were any LAN by standard.
Also, please make the mod coop and let it have quests!
And unique items gameplay fix will be cool. Just think of something that will keep the game balanced.
Well, actually the real question i wanted to ask was, The sync-tp should really be fixED!!!
Can we take companions in this version of mod??? Cuz' i never tried it :D

Note: You have just wasted 5 seconds of your life reading this. Trollin' :D

Dantiko
10-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Actually, the players will be making the mods, this is only the mod for multiplayer, sync is still being made, and lan, well, idk.

frankpetrov
10-09-2011, 05:04 PM
How can we play LAN?
Well, actually, don't answer.
Me and my friends can just trick the game to lan just as we did in Minecraft.
I just wanted to ask if there were any LAN by standard.
Also, please make the mod coop and let it have quests!
And unique items gameplay fix will be cool. Just think of something that will keep the game balanced.
Well, actually the real question i wanted to ask was, The sync-tp should really be fixED!!!
Can we take companions in this version of mod??? Cuz' i never tried it :D

Note: You have just wasted 5 seconds of your life reading this. Trollin' :D

Trololololololololol /ban for a useless post :p

Dantiko
10-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Saying "/ban for a useless post :p" make another useless post deserving /ban
PS:This post also deserver /ban

lexlazootin
10-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Dude, this is fucking beast!! i can't wait till it comes out ;D ;D
just wondering, how often does the server update every second?

WarlockSyno
11-07-2011, 03:51 AM
I think with this lag it's like 10 every second. A game should be running around 60-100. The faster the better to some point.

Galerion
11-17-2011, 10:35 AM
I heard a long time nothing from this mod, is it now frozen?

CTCCoco
11-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Well... Recycler said that have many things to do instead of VaultMP at the moment, so we are fucked. xD.

foxtacles
11-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Yeah, at the moment I have very little time. Doesn't mean I'm giving up on anything ;) Project will continue. I expect to have some more free time in the last weeks of December, I hope I can finish a lot then. You may be interested in what I posted in IRC:

22:13 <@recycler> skyrim uses the old scripting engine...I could make vaultmp work with skyrim...yee I have to try things out
22:14 < Volumed> So there is a change you let fallout 3/new vegas fall?
22:15 <@recycler> Volumed: thanks for the logos, work is really appreciated. I will use them along with a new design I will setup sometime later
22:15 < Volumed> NP
22:15 <@recycler> Volumed: no. all 4 games
22:16 < Volumed> Are the grafikes from skyrim not to much to play online with?
22:16 < Volumed> Or is coop mode the only choose then
22:16 <@recycler> I will write news about it on the page when I'm sure about it...right now I'm extremly busy with univserity stuff

al5xander
11-17-2011, 10:34 PM
me gusta recycler's answer

Genocyber
11-21-2011, 01:47 AM
Yeah, at the moment I have very little time. Doesn't mean I'm giving up on anything ;) Project will continue. I expect to have some more free time in the last weeks of December, I hope I can finish a lot then.

I feel you there man, people should understand we modders do ihave a life outside modding, I know, shocking! jobs, college, family etc.. For example I havnt been around for awhile due to getting ready to throw a pitch to a big london based clothing company and from my understanding recyclers in college aswell. One guy on my team has taken time off to sort out things with his wife and pretty much everyone else on the team are in college having to write paper after paper, so just give us time, you cant fit 10 pound in a 5 pound bag ;)

Dantiko
11-21-2011, 03:53 PM
I wish I could mod, I have plenty free time(specially now at vacation).

Aeronix
11-25-2011, 08:37 AM
Then learn how to create modifications, I hope that this mod will have a stable release at December :)

Volumed
11-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Then learn how to create modifications, I hope that this mod will have a stable release at December :)

December? You are joking right or do you mean December next year. :'P

Dantiko
11-26-2011, 11:06 AM
No, Recycler said he will have plenty free time to work at december, however there still plenty to be done.

Volumed
11-26-2011, 11:25 AM
No, Recycler said he will have plenty free time to work at december, however there still plenty to be done.

I know that, but you sad it yourself "Plenty to be done" so i don't see a stable release. :-)

Dantiko
11-26-2011, 07:26 PM
What's a stable release to you?
For me, it's an update that has combat sync, not so much bugs and few crashed, It might not be ready until january, or the final of december, but let's be otimists.

Volumed
11-26-2011, 11:21 PM
What's a stable release to you?
For me, it's an update that has combat sync, not so much bugs and few crashed, It might not be ready until january, or the final of december, but let's be otimists.

Why ask if you can answer the question yourself?

optimistic yes, but also stay realistic.