View Full Version : What do you think about open source for Vaultmp?

Dantiko
09-13-2011, 12:04 AM
?

Houstin
09-13-2011, 12:16 AM
"It's the best thing for this mod, because it allows it to be infinitely ampliable.": Your english looks weird to me. I guess this would be my first choice, though.

"I wish it wasn't open source, it makes you lose the sensation of competing with others.": Since you're talking about Vaultmp and not the scripts I don't understand how there is a sensation of competing with others. As far as I know this is the only actively developed Gamebryo multiplayer framework publicly available.

"It allows for more hackers, so I don't like it.": I've been developing an anticheat(will not be open source for obvious reasons) for when the time comes. I'm a professional when it comes to this sort of thing :)

"I ? 0p3n s0u7c3 XD": If I could vote for two options this would be my second.

Dantiko
09-13-2011, 04:21 PM
"I wish it wasn't open source, it makes you lose the sensation of competing with others."
I meant that closed games have more competition, for example, if you enter a server and get super powerful on it, on the other server you would be just another newbie, games that aren't open source often don't get this problem, because all servers are synced.

Volumed
09-13-2011, 04:40 PM
"I wish it wasn't open source, it makes you lose the sensation of competing with others."
I meant that closed games have more competition, for example, if you enter a server and get super powerful on it, on the other server you would be just another newbie, games that aren't open source often don't get this problem, because all servers are synced.

But that is just the game, myself and i think many others like that idea but there can also come team deathmatch or other gametypes. Did you ever played SA-mp the game is very old but still played by 1000s of people other games like.. Lets say ghost warrior are forgetten in a year ofcourse there are good games like battlefield but still.. Fallout is never made for multiplayer Recycler only make a port he will not make everything that is a thing the players have to do.

Dantiko
09-13-2011, 05:29 PM
I played SA-MP, well, every server has it's own data on scripts, well, still if the server is offline you can't play.

Houstin
09-13-2011, 05:51 PM

Player data is only created and read by the script. This includes usernames, passwords, inventory, and so on. This normally would not be put into a repository for public access. Closed source is the same. However I get the feeling you understand this now because of

I played SA-MP, well, every server has it's own data on scripts, well, still if the server is offline you can't play.

games that aren't open source often don't get this problem, because all servers are synced.

I think you mean a master server that hosts data for multiple servers. There will not be an official one in vaultmp because each server has the ability to be different. However, a server can read account data from a database that is used by other servers. This isn't really a problem to me, but an improvement.

@Volumed

But that is just the game, myself and i think many others like that idea but there can also come team deathmatch or other gametypes. Did you ever played SA-mp the game is very old but still played by 1000s of people other games like.. Lets say ghost warrior are forgetten in a year ofcourse there are good games like battlefield but still.. Fallout is never made for multiplayer Recycler only make a port he will not make everything that is a thing the players have to do.

GTA:SA was never meant to be a multiplayer game either.

Akrakorn
09-13-2011, 06:20 PM
If it goes like SA:MP and a gamemode similar to Godfather is released, we'll have a lot of shitty RP servers with no effort at all. That would mean the playerbase will be seperated.

I seriously hope that doesn't happen.

Houstin
09-13-2011, 06:24 PM
If it goes like SA:MP and a gamemode similar to Godfather is released, we'll have a lot of shitty RP servers with no effort at all. That would mean the playerbase will be seperated.

I seriously hope that doesn't happen.

As far as I know the Godfather wasn't licensed when it was released. That was a huge mistake in a community like SA-MP. Hopefully open source scripts here will not make that same mistake.

Volumed
09-13-2011, 06:30 PM
GTA:SA was never meant to be a multiplayer game either.

I never sad it was not.

But still at last, the game devolvers did not have the money/time but they made multiplayer elements, it really was like this the 0 to a 1 ofcourse it still needed many scripting work but you are not really 100% right.

cerber
09-13-2011, 06:38 PM
"It's the best thing for this mod, because it allows it to be infinitely ampliable."

Of course yes, but first vaultmp should be released and later other developers/users should be able to "make" own servers and if they want to share with their work with other, so I don't know if it is open source. :-\ I would make something like I said.