View Full Version : Skyrim Online vs. Vault Tec

Aeronix
12-17-2011, 08:10 PM
There has been new multiplayer mod that was released not long ago.
I think that this mod should only support Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas due to them being alike and the result causing less problems with the Reverse Engineering part.
https://skyrim-online.com/
I'm wondering if VaultTec adds all the support for no reason if this project will be more famous, but yer :P
Share your comments.

Volumed
12-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Yes i agreed, Recy and houstin can better finnish the Fallout games first, and if it works and Skyrim online dies then to make Skyrim/oblivion under a other name like TheElderScrollsMP that will be really cool ... Don't take to much work Recy! And don't forget fallout 4. :-)

Tomo
12-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Competition is a good thing. I've had a quick go on Skyrim Online and it seems like it will be pretty good. It's closed source, which puts me off a bit (not that closed source is always a bad thing, it just goes a bit against how I see the TES/FO modding community).

Considering the CS for Skyrim isn't even out yet, we don't really know enough to discuss how much effort would be needed to make VMP work on all the games. You can see Recycler's comments on this page (https://www.vaultmp.com/showthread.php?85-Questions-amp-Answers/page12), but even that is preliminary. I'm pretty sure Oblivion/FO3/FONV is (relatively) simple. Skyrim may be trickier, we'll need the CS to know for sure. After that, and depending on the progress on both Skyrim Online and VMP, it would be worth discussing VMP covering Skyrim or not.

foxtacles
12-17-2011, 11:04 PM
As far as I see, the mod uses the Script Dragon stuff released for Skyrim which does all the actual difficult work (hooking up the game and exposing access to the script engine). vaultmp does this already for all Bethesda games except Skyrim. It is pretty easy for me to hook up Skyrim too, as it works the same ;)

Aeronix
12-18-2011, 03:14 AM
As far as I see, the mod uses the Script Dragon stuff released for Skyrim which does all the actual difficult work (hooking up the game and exposing access to the script engine). vaultmp does this already for all Bethesda games except Skyrim. It is pretty easy for me to hook up Skyrim too, as it works the same ;)
It probably does, this has a lot of things added though such as chat and friends list etc.

foxtacles
12-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Yeah this is in fact nice. If it was open-source, I would ask to use some part of it for vaultmp, but apparently the developer doesn't want that...

EDIT:
I just wrote a mail to the project, maybe he / they'll be open for some collaboration.

Aeronix
12-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Yeah this is in fact nice. If it was open-source, I would ask to use some part of it for vaultmp, but apparently the developer doesn't want that...

EDIT:
I just wrote a mail to the project, maybe he / they'll be open for some collaboration.
Ah good to see some tries to collaborate with other projects, it's probably better and faster :)
Apparently the guy said he'd get syncing working before CE was even out.

foxtacles
12-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Hello,

I am sorry but I will not share anything with anyone except they have
joined the team and signed an NDA.
If you are interested in joining the team please let me know.

Thanks,
Maxime

Guess it's ok if I post his reply here.

Tomo
12-19-2011, 01:32 PM
An NDA? For a TES mod? The hell...

Dantiko
12-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Forget it, this guy is a retard that only thinks about PROFIT, and the script used in his project already does all the hard work, well I don't consider his mod as competition since we are the only ones to be doing a mod for Fallout 3/NV and Oblivion.

foxtacles
12-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Well I don't really understand his decision on that. He will soon discover that it's far more work to implement all the features he listed than was required for synchronization. Anyway, won't start a war here, hoping the best for his project.

Aeronix
12-20-2011, 08:15 AM
In my opinion, the TES series will never be good as the Fallout series.
They ruined Skyrim by creating mass useless dwemer dungeons that are absolutely horrendous.
EDIT: Not sure how long this Script Extender has been out for Skyrim. https://skse.silverlock.org/

Genocyber
12-20-2011, 08:59 PM
After seeing SO on nexus, I shot over to these forums, but the dust has already settled. Bit of a shame the collaberation is a no-go. Oh well, there loss.

foxtacles
12-21-2011, 07:29 PM
https://skyrim-online.com/?page_id=135

Ah, they did the right thing now :D

Dantiko
12-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Woohoo!!!Source Opened, now he did the right thing.

Tomo
12-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Seems like SO, Tytanis and SkyNet are now working together. Should be interesting.

Not a huge fan of Skyrim myself. I liked the game for a while, but I'm pretty bored of it now. Mainly after multiplayer for Fallout.

WarlockSyno
12-22-2011, 11:13 PM
I don't think Vault-Tec MP should give up on this. The SO/Tytanis/SkyNet combo is working on something different than what VMP has been working on. They're going for a unified MMORPG type structure, while VMP is doing a co-op experience.

So that leaves Vault-Tec, Skyrim MP, and Skyrim Co-Op still doing this. Skyrim MP has said they're working on a never worked type of multiplayer for Skyrim, that will set them apart; whatever that may be.

Tomo
12-23-2011, 01:14 AM
VMP is a MP mod for Fallout that (will) also work for Skyrim. All the other mods are Skyrim mods. It's no big deal, really.

foxtacles
12-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Also I read on your website that you are happy to see its open source, thelicense does not allow the use of Skyrim Online's code even forking is not
allowed.
I wish you good luck with your project, don't waste your time on Skyrim it
will be useless as we are already doing co-op.

Haha. Here is my reply.

Hello,

no worries, I looked at the source. Nothing interesting for vaultmp in there ;) I will 'waste' my time on Skyrim however, vaultmp has different goals and other features which you apparently won't offer.

Recycler

WarlockSyno
12-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Like a boss.

Farlo
12-24-2011, 04:15 AM
That guy seems really competitive about the mods o.0

WarlockSyno
12-24-2011, 05:49 AM
He said the same thing to the Skyrim MP guys. They also said back that they would continue going solo and wont be overshadowed.

Row Row Row, fight the power.

Dantiko
12-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Hahaha, who was more childish and who was more mature in both messages?
I guess mature was Recycler and childish was the guy, but that's me.

Aeronix
01-11-2012, 01:33 AM
They removed the open source ability, it is kind of closed source and now only available to certain people.
I however, am a scripter of the project there.
Hopefully this modification will be completed soon.

Volumed
01-11-2012, 02:38 PM
"Hopefully this modification will be completed soon. " Why do so many people think here that it's completed "soon". It's still in the alpha state and many things have to be done! Recy is busy with a school project and a update will not come in a other month he is also a person who got a life and is doing the most things alone.

What kind of scripter are you there?

NillaCakester
01-14-2012, 08:36 PM
lol NDA. bethesda management never returned my call about a kickstarter for fallout 3/new vegas.

Dantiko
01-15-2012, 01:28 PM
lol NDA. bethesda management never returned my call about a kickstarter for fallout 3/new vegas.

It's because Bethesda is too rich after Fallout 3, they are just too lazy, motherfuckers...