View Full Version : Feature requests: client browser, server setup, usability

foxtacles
04-03-2012, 07:12 PM
I'd like to get some suggestions to improve the usability of vaultmp. What would you change in the structure, setup, look and feel of the client / server of vaultmp?

Client: Uses the Windows API, so everything which can be achieved with the WinAPI can be implemented.
(of course you are very welcome to improve the client yourself if you know WinAPI)

Server: Currently it's a .ini file which contains configuration options.

markuz008
04-03-2012, 09:39 PM
im not sure if i understood, but here is my suggestion:

it might be hard, might be easy, never done myself so you probably can tell me
Launcher: maybe in snapshots its too early to do this, but i think it is recommended improvement

https://img851.imageshack.us/img851/7066/launcherh.png (https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/launcherh.png/)

a lil bit explanation:
Filter is for limiting server "gamemodes, player limits, etc."

Mods is for activating the required mods, in launcher, when you choose mods, you have ability to save the activated mod list, and load one of them (having few mod activation lists for different servers is handy?)

"if there is no master server updating, how it gonna work?" not sure how in that situation to make it working, but i was thinking about servers sending very little amount of data to one place(might be this website which has the data), where from a client can get info about servers only when client press Refresh, after connecting to server. if the website which would hold server list is down, player could try to connect through IP:Port right into the server. (oh that little square above Filter and Mods could contain 2 boxes like for IP and Port, and one button "Connect to IP")

and players nickname, for every server you connect, you need to register in-game by giving password (dunno are those passwords encrypted in servers or not, but i wouldnt recommend to put your favorite passwords there) in custom UI, or login if nickname already exists in server database. in my opinion those are good features...

foxtacles
04-04-2012, 02:04 AM
Thanks! Looking good, I like the idea with the mods list.

Volumed
04-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Thanks! Looking good, I like the idea with the mods list.

1. A button to connect to the server IP.
2. A favorite a server button and a list for it. Or something that favo servers load at the top of the page.
3. A chat in the client for support, fun chat and a join my server chat but all in one button.

Lorenc
04-09-2012, 01:16 PM
As simple as San Andreas Multi-player's is.

https://i36.tinypic.com/30bjtr8.png

Remember the rule:

K - Keep
I - It
S - Simple
S - Stupid

Aeronix
04-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Markuz008's idea is adequate for the design, and should provide ease of use to users.

NeoPhoenix
04-09-2012, 01:20 PM
i really like markuz008's idea but there should be a complex filter to configurate which servers will be shown - ping, players, password, port, map, gamemode, servername...

Aeronix
04-09-2012, 01:28 PM
i really like markuz008's idea but there should be a complex filter to configurate which servers will be shown - ping, players, password, port, map, gamemode, servername...
None are really needed other then password, ping, and no player filter.

NeoPhoenix
04-09-2012, 01:38 PM
for sure id use them ;)

markuz008
04-10-2012, 09:24 PM
well, i kinda forgot to mention that when you would press Filter or Mods, there would open another window for that VaultMP client, where would be other features like choosing "Ping Not More Than: (here you type number, max. 3 digits)", so highest ping is 999 showed, and stuff like that. about gamemode, hmm, ive never found it useful, unless server has .cfg or .ini file where they put tags like "rp; role; play; roleplay; freeroam;" etc. servername though could be useful, but... thats where Favorites is good at! saving those servers to your client... (could be done so you can go VaultMP's client folder and look for FavServ.txt or whatever file and see all favorite'd server names and their IP:Port too)

about ports, i forgot to add in previous post, but thats undoubtetly needed! and good thing that you said about Password, NeoPhoenix! i only mentioned server ingame registration, but that would mean that folks could freely join and register and play... so we kinda need ingame password for every personal server account, and server's own password for connecting. damn, its like i put a hole in my suggestion paper :(

P.S. yeah, my ideas were inspired by the great SA-MP developers. :)

Queue
06-24-2012, 01:19 AM
For New Vegas, since it's Steam only, couldn't we use a user's steam ID as their login credentials (like how DayZ for ArmA2 does) so that players wouldn't need to bother with a name/password? (they'd still choose their displayed name, it just wouldn't matter for identifying them)

Queue

MaxHarryson
06-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Being able to see what mods/.esp:s the server uses is important

Aeronix
07-04-2012, 04:07 PM
For New Vegas, since it's Steam only, couldn't we use a user's steam ID as their login credentials (like how DayZ for ArmA2 does) so that players wouldn't need to bother with a name/password? (they'd still choose their displayed name, it just wouldn't matter for identifying them)

Queue
This would even end the harassment from ban evaders entering the server.

roby65
07-04-2012, 06:42 PM

Queue

This is simple IMO, but this can't be done in f3, so a better thing to do would identify users by machine ID

Edit: I'm adding my "Feature Request" with some ideas i got

-Machine ID generation and association with a login/register system
-Online server details (on a web page)
-Persistent game state using mysql / sqlite databases
-Remote server management

NeoPhoenix
07-04-2012, 09:55 PM
if it is open source cant everybody just manipulate the client and send fake information?

roby65
07-04-2012, 10:01 PM
if it is open source cant everybody just manipulate the client and send fake information?

It's the same for the steam username :)

NeoPhoenix
07-04-2012, 10:53 PM
It's the same for the steam username :)
never claimed the opposite ;)

Queue
07-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Well, you wouldn't use their Steam username, that'd be absurd (never ask a user for their name/password for another service). Steam supports OpenID to let third-parties have Steam authenticate users for them. The point wouldn't be security regardless; it would just make logging in trivial for the end user since they wouldn't have to remember a name/password. They have their preferred name set in the VaultMP launcher, and then simply connect to any given New Vegas server and their character data is retrieved based on their Steam ID rather then them having to enter a name/password.

Fallout 3 users would have to manually enter a name/password. I'm aware Fallout 3 is also available on Steam, but am not sure how integrated it actually is with Steam (whereas New Vegas is only available via Steam).

Queue

roby65
07-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Well, you wouldn't use their Steam username, that'd be absurd (never ask a user for their name/password for another service). Steam supports OpenID to let third-parties have Steam authenticate users for them. The point wouldn't be security regardless; it would just make logging in trivial for the end user since they wouldn't have to remember a name/password. They have their preferred name set in the VaultMP launcher, and then simply connect to any given New Vegas server and their character data is retrieved based on their Steam ID rather then them having to enter a name/password.

Fallout 3 users would have to manually enter a name/password. I'm aware Fallout 3 is also available on Steam, but am not sure how integrated it actually is with Steam (whereas New Vegas is only available via Steam).

Queue

The solution for this is simple: when you register, your username is associated with your unique machine ID, and when you log in a server you have to type only the password.
So also if someone changes the source to spoof the machine ID, you still need to have the password

Roby

Queue
07-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Association with a physical computer has faults though, such as if a person has more than one computer (like myself) or if they upgrade/replace their computer. And then you're saying they'd still need a password, so there's no added convenience... I'm not really seeing the point.

Queue