View Full Version : GUI Debation

Houstin
07-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Would you like your chat box to be Bethesda style(yellow on semitransparent black), or Interplay style(textures such as rust, dirt, scratches) ?

I would like Interplay style, if it didn't look weird in Fallout 3/NV. We'd need textures for interplay style, possibly some from Fallout1/2/BOS.

We need 2d textures for the input box and chatbox, and a font unless you want to use one of the default windows one. Later, we'll possibly need textures for other dialogs(message boxes, input boxes, etc).

Don't expect too rapid development from me..I don't have a computer that I can test D3D9 code on, but when the textures are done it'll be pretty smooth going from there.

Here's a FAQ that's in progress about the design of the chatbox.

How big do you want the chatbox? (your answer here)
Where do you want the chatbox? It will be movable by holding down left mouse button & moving your mouse to wherever you want it.
How will you scroll in the chatbox? You'll have two arrows vertically stacked on each other. The one on top will be pointed up, and the one on bottom will be pointing down.
How will you enter commands or messages to the chatbox? You'll press a key(maybe t ?) and then enter your message. The input will not affect the game while the chatbox is open.

Feel free to post any suggestions or textures.

foxtacles
07-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Just to let the others know: houtin is going to participate in the project as a developer and plans to work on the GUI among other things; yay!

I'd also prefer Interplay style - I'll look out for textures ;) Though I don't have the skill to edit or format them.

shorun
08-02-2011, 12:36 PM
I'll be switserland here, idk wich one, as long as it works (bring me the moneh!!, lolz).

No really, wich ever functions best is fine by me, if they both work just fine, then you guys chose, idk bout looks.

Lorenc
08-04-2011, 07:09 AM
Keep it simple shit, once textdraws are created you can make your designs with them..

BTW Recycler check out the MTA SA source (its open source) see the syncing, I mean they coded that multiplayer mod perfect xD
Not sure if it uses RakNet but it should I guess....

[Multi Theft Auto: San Andreas - MP mod for GTA SA]

bread
08-04-2011, 02:36 PM
I think you should make the simplest version of it and have that until you finish the other one.

Kar
08-05-2011, 05:35 PM
personally, just don't take it as far as multi theft auto.

I mean there system is amazing yes, but its TOTALLY UGLY and annoying and so dry!

Lorenc
08-06-2011, 01:07 AM
Just keep it simple, no layers with mid or anything, a transparent box w/ bordered text [ the upcoming chat system GUI ]

Dantiko
08-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Well, if you played FOnline 2238, you will see that implementing a chating mod was easier because they used the same fonts and the same box as in the original version of Fallout 2, Fallout 3 didn't got any box logs, so it will be harder to implement it, but a good thing we could use before an ingame chat is a mIRC or TeamSpeak server(any other chating programs to comunicate) and a program that prevents game crash as we press alt+tab, it would be a good start.

ArathHunter
08-08-2011, 02:17 AM
I feel scared and honestly slightly appalled when someone mentioned using something IRC for chat, I don't know why... I think I'm developing a phobia for IRC : :-[

shorun
08-08-2011, 01:00 PM
no need to fear irc, the protocol itself is pritty nice.
The people on irc channels however....

Dantiko
08-08-2011, 04:31 PM
If the channel stays in this forum ok, IRC is reliable and we won't need to fear for spammers since someone will be the chat moderator, whats IRC used for anyway if it isn't for chat?
2238 got an IRC channel.

cerber
08-08-2011, 06:00 PM
If the channel stays in this forum ok, IRC is reliable and we won't need to fear for spammers since someone will be the chat moderator, whats IRC used for anyway if it isn't for chat?
2238 got an IRC channel.

IRC:
Network: irc.forestnet.org
Channel: #vaultmp

Dantiko
08-08-2011, 09:37 PM
gj tester, now we need to post it at the wiki too, and spread the word.

ArathHunter
08-11-2011, 01:01 AM
Gah.... how do I do this again? Freaking IRC.... bleh... Ok, I got Chatzilla, Thats as far as I can remember on how use IRC.

Aeronix
08-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Make it so that server side can set the background of the chatbox. Thanks houtin, hope you can do this system asap because we really need communications

cerber
08-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Maybe this (https://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34971) is good for taknig 2d textures and build chatbox?

General Alexander
08-20-2011, 03:25 PM
this is for New vegas - OUR MAIN goal - Fallout 3!

ArathHunter
08-20-2011, 10:37 PM
I was kina rooting for the classic fo3 dialog box.... but that is just too beautiful Tester.

Dantiko
08-21-2011, 05:44 PM
We need communication system As Soon As Possible.

cerber
08-21-2011, 09:05 PM
this is for New vegas - OUR MAIN goal - Fallout 3!

Okay, but Revelation is for Fallout 3 (https://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=47) too. Anyway

We need communication system As Soon As Possible.
Later of course we can change textures (owner's cravings) if we get working chatbox.

Houstin
08-24-2011, 04:17 AM
I'm really sorry for not posting what work I did do. I got caught up in IRL and some other projects. Now that the other projects are mostly complete, though, I have time again to help Vault-MP. I've gotten a new computer, but have lost my fallout 3 cd :< . If anyone would be polite enough to send me the main .exe, I'll see if i can get any useful things from it. You can expect many things from me coming, as I will be making up for lost time. If it wasn't for Recycler emailing me I wouldn't of ever remembered about Vault-MP. It was pretty lucky that i read some of my spam emails before deleting.

EDIT: I've emailed Recycler my D3D9 rendering class and GUI that utilizes it. I'll also put it as an attachment here, incase any of you want to look at it. It is very simple to use, and works quite nicely. However, it is missing a scrollable editbox currently. There is a binary that you can run to see what the GUI can look like, and some of its features.

foxtacles
08-24-2011, 06:08 PM
No problem at all, it's great that you have found time to work on the GUI now :D Nice work on the rendering class so far, really looking forward to this :)

CTCCoco
08-24-2011, 06:19 PM
We all are waiting the chat and the GUI, houtin :D

Houstin
08-25-2011, 12:02 AM
I've only changed the colors for now. The scrollable textbox is in progress, and may be finished today along with a D3D9 hook.

Virus scan for CreateDevice.exe https://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=ebc17ac76d8f873aa2c5e4bca3b781d0e0a d11f30788c5f70dce3de2611afcc0-1314226543

foxtacles
08-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Awesome :D

CTCCoco
08-25-2011, 12:55 AM
Thanks for your job houstin :P

General Alexander
08-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Not bad, Houstin.

ArathHunter
08-26-2011, 03:45 AM
I'm expecting it to be in the next build then? :D

Lorenc
08-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Does it use HEX codes for its color? I mean it's too solid can you keep it translucent?

Around

0x00000077 - BLACK though can see through it.

Houstin
08-26-2011, 09:02 AM
@Lorenc: My rendering class takes D3DCOLOR_ARGB's. They look like 0xAARRGGBB. From dx sdk:

// D3DCOLOR is equivalent to D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8
#ifndef D3DCOLOR_DEFINED
typedef DWORD D3DCOLOR;
#define D3DCOLOR_DEFINED
#endif

// maps unsigned 8 bits/channel to D3DCOLOR
#define D3DCOLOR_ARGB(a,r,g,b) \
((D3DCOLOR)((((a)&0xff)<<24)|(((r)&0xff)<<16)|(((g )&0xff)<<8)|((b)&0xff)))
#define D3DCOLOR_RGBA(r,g,b,a) D3DCOLOR_ARGB(a,r,g,b)
#define D3DCOLOR_XRGB(r,g,b) D3DCOLOR_ARGB(0xff,r,g,b)

The GUI and controls are transparent. The screenshot I posted it from a bank d3d9 application for tests with a grey, because I don't have a copy of Fallout 3, NV, or Oblivion.

Lorenc
08-26-2011, 02:45 PM
@Lorenc: My rendering class takes D3DCOLOR_ARGB's. They look like 0xAARRGGBB. From dx sdk:

// D3DCOLOR is equivalent to D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8
#ifndef D3DCOLOR_DEFINED
typedef DWORD D3DCOLOR;
#define D3DCOLOR_DEFINED
#endif

// maps unsigned 8 bits/channel to D3DCOLOR
#define D3DCOLOR_ARGB(a,r,g,b) \
((D3DCOLOR)((((a)&0xff)<<24)|(((r)&0xff)<<16)|(((g )&0xff)<<8)|((b)&0xff)))
#define D3DCOLOR_RGBA(r,g,b,a) D3DCOLOR_ARGB(a,r,g,b)
#define D3DCOLOR_XRGB(r,g,b) D3DCOLOR_ARGB(0xff,r,g,b)

The GUI and controls are transparent. The screenshot I posted it from a bank d3d9 application for tests with a grey, because I don't have a copy of Fallout 3, NV, or Oblivion.

Haha, thats pretty cool.

Would the chat be extended in the actual client? Or that tiny as of now it is?

It's rather smooth, I like it but yeah. Don't put too much detail on it. Ruins the display just like MTA did :)

Keep it up, you're a legend. Chat box <3

Houstin
08-29-2011, 09:17 AM
The chatbox will be in vaultgui.dll along with the other rendering code. I'm currently finishing up the input for the chatbox and adding some exports that can be called from vaultmp.dll. You can expect a complete 2D rendering system in a week or so. Some examples:

Add2DBox(player, x, y, w, h, color);
Add2DText(player, x, y, text, color);
Hide2DElement(player, id);
Show2DElement(player, id);

Also, I wouldn't worry about it getting complicated. This snippet shows how easy it is to create the window that I've posted screenshots of.

rend.d = g_pd3dDevice;
rend.Initialize();
tw = new CWindow(1,1,WINDOW_W,WINDOW_H,&rend,"Vault-MP GUI");
tw->AddTab("Tab1");
tw->AddTab("Tab2");
tw->AddTab("Slider");
tw->AddTab("Chat");
tw->AddCheckbox(2,45,"Testing",&checkboxstate,0);
tw->AddCheckbox(2,75,"Testing #2",&checkboxstate2,0);
tw->AddCheckbox(2,55,"Testing #3",&checkboxstate3,1);
tw->AddSlider(2,55,100,"Slide",20.0f,0.0f,&slideme,2) ;
tw->AddTextbox(2, 48, WINDOW_W-18, WINDOW_H-51, textbox_buffer, 3);

Aeronix
08-31-2011, 11:20 PM
This is nice, due to the abilities to easily create GUIs, and we've already got it finished which is just amazing, now whats left is probably to improve it in the future, as well as finish and complete the syncing of VaultMP :P

Houstin
10-01-2011, 04:27 AM
This is a little development update for anyone who's interested.

Today I received my copy of Fallout 3 Game of The Year Edition. I had some issues ordering it and had to wait a few days before more money was on my card. I tested my GUI ingame and was unable to reproduce the graphical bug Recycler is experiencing which causes it to be rendered a second time stretched over almost the whole screen. However, I've ordered a new computer for almost a thousand US dollars a few days ago that just so happens to have the exact same video card as Recycler. It'll take a few weeks before it arrives though, because they have to gather all the parts for it, put it together and test it thoroughly then ship it. This computer I'm using now has a official legacy card known as the ATI Radeon X1650 PRO. I'm not able to test my GUI with fallout 3 video settings on much more than the minimum. I believe that the graphical bug is caused by a post processing effect. So far the mouse input is 99% working. The only 1% left is to fix windowed mode detection, which is needed to make the mouse input work when you're running a fullscreen game in a smaller resolution than your monitor. The keyboard input is 50% complete. The code that handles keyboard input is already there, it just doesn't receive input with Windows Vista and later.

It shouldn't much longer now :P

Farlo
10-01-2011, 04:52 AM
Houstin, if you'd like, you can send me the files and I can test it on higher settings. I just built a new $1k rig with an AMD 6870 :D Send me an email/PM.