View Full Version : Inventory/Pip-boy Support

Melon_Commander
07-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Any idea when (roughly) inventories will be finished? I'm pretty excited for it, it means the multiplayer will be properly playable :D

Until then, is there anyway of equipping items using the console or something?

Sorry if the questions are fairly n00b-ish, I'm new here :)

Keep up the good work! :D

Aeronix
07-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Any idea when (roughly) inventories will be finished? I'm pretty excited for it, it means the multiplayer will be properly playable :D

Until then, is there anyway of equipping items using the console or something?

Sorry if the questions are fairly n00b-ish, I'm new here :)

Keep up the good work! :D

VaultMP is estimated to be fully playable in 2 months.

Melon_Commander
07-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Oh wow, thats sooner than I expected :D

ngl
07-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Fully playable as in Deathmatch support, or actually with quests options and story mode?

shorun
07-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Quests will largely be scripted in .pwn i think. playable as in, working/stable.

Aeronix
07-25-2011, 06:38 AM
All gameplay is meant to be script controllable by what Recycler has stated previously. He is doing a great job for on his own, lets hope he can finish it earlier, but I don't want the project rushed.

ngl
07-27-2011, 11:29 AM
What does script controllable actually mean? I dont have any clue about game design sorry. I just googled fallout coop and came to this page.

shorun
08-04-2011, 11:48 AM
This is hard, so i'll try to explain it to you..
it means that any item is in a script db on the server, not your pc.

As it is now, you join the game and you are in your own gameworld, with your own item db and npc's.
Scripted from server means that the server tells you where the items are, the npc's are, what they do and how you can use them. all actions go trough a server script, so the server knows what you did and can send this info to other players.

The advantage of this system, is that you can make a diffrent script for a diffrent server. one server has teams (raiders & factions) that do constant TDM. another server has a more role-play approach. same game, diffrent script. the mechanics will remain the same, so shooting is identical. but where you get your guns/ammo from changed completely.

Now the game follows it's own script, there's a trader at location A selling item A, B, and D. another trader at location B selling items A, C and D.
having a scripting system allows you to place any npc at any location for any function, basicly allows you to completely re-design the entire game to your own wishes.

You could, for example script a door that auto-locks after 1 minute. and is only unlockable with a certain key, wich is unique. this makes a private place were only the owner of that house (carryer of key) can unlock the door and allow ppl to enter, the script locks it for him again after X amount of time. a SAFE house. do this 50x and you have 50 player houses, making for a nice little village. add some traders/shops and wandering npc's and you got a nice rp town.

Any questions?

foxtacles
08-04-2011, 02:34 PM
This can be achieved by providing a Fallout mod to the player which has all default content from the game removed. You could then script your own game from scratch :D But I think it's better to leave the option to keep the native Fallout content, as not everybody will want to build an own script. The mod is going to support both those ways ;)

By providing a base savegame, the mod already ensures and keeps track of all content available in-game. This is similar to a DB you mentioned :)

Dantiko
08-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Lets review any other free-source game out there, like Steam's Valve games, people can create its own maps and they are downloaded before the person joins the server, so what I am thinking(no not creating maps), we do a check before the person joins the server, it is specified that the person needs X mod/mods to join the server, and the site to download it is provided, after the person download the mod(with new guns and stuff), the server becomes playable, also alpha 0.1 has lots of problems, the hotkeys and the problem with the quests, the first thing that I did after entering multiplayer was going back to the vault, close the door from inside and run before the gate shuts down, it adds the escape quest and I create my character at the exit.Also I killed a guy :D

EDIT:I made a log of me entering the game, accessing my inventory, removing armor and helmet then closing inventory and leaving game, everyone should post logs in case of problems, my pc is a Windows XP, 3.5GB RAM, plenty of free disk space, Dual-Core...(that don't mind and im too lazy to write it now)
heres log: