View Full Version : Multiple instances of Fallout 3 error when trying to join server

inteGReddy
05-17-2012, 03:04 AM
Hi all. I was really excited to learn of this mod and would love to try it out. I have gone as far as hosting a server and connecting to it with vaultmp. I only have one desktop at the house, but I use softXpand software which allows me to effectively have 2 simultaneous windows desktops running on one PC.

After I realized there is no easy way to allow multiple instances of Fallout3 to run simultaneously, I downloaded Sandboxie and experimented some. I can now efficiently get Fallout 3 to run on both user desktops simultaneously by running one of the instances in Sandboxie.

My problem now is that vaultmp gives me an error: "Fallout 3 or New Vegas is already running on your computer" or something along those lines. I really don't get how it even knows that because the first instance of vaultmp and Fallout 3 are both running in the sandbox. I can successfully load the game from the shortcut when this happens, but the game will not load from vaultmp in this case.

Is there any way to disable this check from vaultmp so that I can test this game? If there is, that would be awesome as me and my girlfriend would love to try it out.

Thanks!

Volumed
05-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Hello inteGReddy welcome to the community,

I'm Volumed a old member, supporter and alpha tester. The thing what you are trying can indeed not work because every user still works in one process from the admin and vaultmp runs from the admin. It's sad that you put a lot of work in it, because you don't have to there is a reason why there are no test servers online, this is because of a bug this bug is named the "Visual bug" and it's the change rate that the other player can see the other player in there world this bug is not related to VaultMP but a thing in the Engine, Recycler is still working to bypass it but there are still many things to be fixed that is the reason he needs more help in the devolving! I hope you also know that there is no combat no AI sync so it's only animation sync, inventory sync and pawn scripting like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1uqs5SqwFw

Still VaultMP is the most advanced multiplayer mod for the games fallout 3, new vegas, oblivion and skyrim out there we do not support oblivion and skyrim but it's close to each other.(maybe for the future faaaarrrrr future.) And no that skyrim online got no visual bug and can show many players in one cell is not because they fixed this problem but that they miss a lot of other syncs and they will run to this problem too(if they get so far, i do personally don't believe so).

foxtacles
05-17-2012, 02:53 PM
I personally never worked with Sandboxie or similar tools, but I'll include an option to disable the check for already running game processes in the next snapshot, this should solve your problem. Until then, however, I don't think I can help you, sorry :(

https://github.com/Foxtacles/vaultmp/issues/48

inteGReddy
05-17-2012, 10:52 PM
I personally never worked with Sandboxie or similar tools, but I'll include an option to disable the check for already running game processes in the next snapshot, this should solve your problem. Until then, however, I don't think I can help you, sorry :(

https://github.com/Foxtacles/vaultmp/issues/48

Wow, that would be great! I am sure it will work for me then. But, I guess you would want to leave the check, but let it load the game anyway. That way, people who already have it running normally and try to join would know why its not working.

It's sad that you put a lot of work in it, because you don't have to there is a reason why there are no test servers online, this is because of a bug this bug is named the "Visual bug" and it's the change rate that the other player can see the other player in there world this bug is not related to VaultMP but a thing in the Engine, Recycler is still working to bypass it but there are still many things to be fixed that is the reason he needs more help in the devolving!

Okay, well that is good to know. I browsed the forums and still didn't get an idea of how functional it was atm. In any case, I will test it when possible, thanx for the replies!