View Full Version : porting vaultmp later

jam
06-24-2012, 12:31 PM
so after vaultmp becomes mature enough i am planning to port it over to skyrim, but im curious, from the finished product, how much effort would that take? would i just need to switch over the item list and change some varible names? or is skyrims engine a lot more dofferent from the old one then i think it is?

Volumed
06-24-2012, 12:46 PM
"You are planning" Hahaha, goodluck. :")))

jam
06-24-2012, 12:55 PM
well yes i need to know as many differences between the engines as possible :D, and atleast i have some hope of completing it, i looked at the github and i know all the languages he's using... though i must admit i hate networking in every way :P

Volumed
06-24-2012, 01:00 PM
well yes i need to know as many differences between the engines as possible :D, and atleast i have some hope of completing it, i looked at the github and i know all the languages he's using... though i must admit i hate networking in every way :P

Really.. Have you no respect at all? This is your first post on the forum and you start about copying it. Why? For your own fame or something?

jam
06-24-2012, 01:06 PM
well no its not my first post, ive been around since half way through last year, infact i think i first saw this on brickster :P, and im not copying it, im gonna put it here and everything, its just recy said he may not end up porting it for a while, remeber :), so im not trying to take credit i just want this on skyrim cause it seems really well done and i respect it, were as skyrim online is... a terrible excuse for an mmo and i hate mmo's no offense to anyone

Volumed
06-24-2012, 01:14 PM
well no its not my first post, ive been around since half way through last year, infact i think i first saw this on brickster :P, and im not copying it, im gonna put it here and everything, its just recy said he may not end up porting it for a while, remeber :), so im not trying to take credit i just want this on skyrim cause it seems really well done and i respect it, were as skyrim online is... a terrible excuse for an mmo and i hate mmo's no offense to anyone

I agee with you on that, i was a little fast with my judgment. Still, VaultMP is in the alpha stage and i find this very inappropriate. he got the idea for doing it i know that. You should show more respect and more work for it but maybe Recycler will answer your post i personally hope not sorry.

jam
06-24-2012, 01:22 PM
well it's okay :) i often don't think about how i come across on the internet as people can't hear my tone of voice, and only have what im typing to go off. i will try to show more respect in the future, and really the only reason i want to do this, is i host a quartley lan event at my house with some friends and i would love to play it there, we have already played vaultmp before and we loved it :)

foxtacles
06-24-2012, 01:52 PM
This is your first post on the forum and you start about copying it. Why? For your own fame or something?

If he seriously want to do it, why not? I don't care. In fact, I'd be happy if other developers would want to take the effort to make it work with Skyrim and / or Oblivion.

The source code is free to use and everybody can do what he want with it.

jam
06-24-2012, 02:13 PM
:D thanks recyc, im happy to help

Volumed
06-24-2012, 03:02 PM
If he seriously want to do it, why not? I don't care. In fact, I'd be happy if other developers would want to take the effort to make it work with Skyrim and / or Oblivion.

The source code is free to use and everybody can do what he want with it.

It's good that VaultMP is open source, everyone can see if they want or can help. But the thing is, if everyone can just copy it and can start the project somewhere else new website and everything, the community will split every time. Maybe now that is no problem but i talk about the future. If that happens it goes criss-cross, nobody knows where to go anymore, you can better have on stable community and a group of developers keep it together in one strong force, than that one guy is going to start with oblivion a other Skyrim, there is no eye over it anymore and the development is only going to be slower because of it. People who are only going to steal the codes from each other you maybe not care but others do modders who do a hard work on a thing and it's somewhere else on a other server without permission it's never going to work history tells from other projects.

But it's your code and your choose but i can say that i don't agree with it.

foxtacles
06-24-2012, 07:45 PM
This is a project of mine in the end. I do that because I find it fun. The community is totally secondary for me.

Volumed
06-24-2012, 09:01 PM
This is a project of mine in the end. I do that because I find it fun. The community is totally secondary for me.

Yes ofcourse, i never said it's not.. "But it's your code and your choose" "maybe Recycler will answer your post i personally hope not sorry." i said so because maybe you think different about it. Still i only give my thoughts and personal input that is my thing. Do not be so easily offended, i'm happy for you that you have fun in creating VaultMP and you don't have to do anything with my idea's or my way of doing things but nobody will take away the shot from me i'm not your enemy here i try to be a friend.

jam
06-25-2012, 12:33 AM
we know your not the enemy Volumed, and im not personally trying to steal his code (i plan to submit what i do to recyc code), but i guess i understand your concern.

roby65
07-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Hi Jam,

the "porting" could be not so easy, the skyrim engine is an updated versione of the fallout new vegas engine, and you will need to find the new functions offsets, and probably a lot of files will have different offsets.
Probably you can find a LOT of things on the tes5 mod wiki (for skyrim offsets etc.) but i think a port will take a lot of time, also the fallout engine is a hybrid of oblivion and skyrim engines, so.... i think you should think a lot about it before starting the porting, it could start well and then you may realize that's not possible

Roby

jam
07-02-2012, 02:52 AM
hmmm thanks roby, at least now i know what to go after, you have given me a lot to think about :) thankyou again

Silentfood
07-02-2012, 05:05 AM
Hi Jam,

the "porting" could be not so easy, the skyrim engine is an updated versione of the fallout new vegas engine, and you will need to find the new functions offsets, and probably a lot of files will have different offsets.
Probably you can find a LOT of things on the tes5 mod wiki (for skyrim offsets etc.) but i think a port will take a lot of time, also the fallout engine is a hybrid of oblivion and skyrim engines, so.... i think you should think a lot about it before starting the porting, it could start well and then you may realize that's not possible

Roby

It's not even an updated version, it's a massive difference in every way. It's like butter compared to margarine.