View Full Version : Ideas and suggestions

foxtacles
06-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Tell us what you'd like to see in the mod ;) You may want to create your own topic to dicuss a specific feature in a larger scale, too :D

PipBoy
06-21-2011, 03:13 AM
There should be radio thats what completes the game like radio that everyone can hear at the same time! :D

QwertySanchez
06-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Maybe a "ping" command in game, I don't mean literal ping, rather you hit a button in game and it'll stick a big marker over the head of other players or arrows that point in their derection for a few seconds. They'll probably be on the map eventually, but it makes them easier to find if they're in the area somewhere but you just can't spot them.

At the moment the game's got default.fos, which I assume is a regular save game renamed so players start off at that point and with that loadout etc. I guess you'll be making .fos files for people who join the server as well, but perhaps at some point you could let people pick one of their saves and have that uploaded to the server. So they can have their current level, skills, weapons etc.. then re download it, or just save it back to their computer (and possibly the server) when they quit.

And of course, the thing I mentioned on youtube about starting the player off like the Wanderers edition mod, although if that mod's on everyone's computers perhaps I could just make a save in that creation room for the player start.. We'll see, next time I'm in fallout I could record the Wanderer's Edition and drop a link in here.

----

I'll put this stuff down now too, though it's probably months, if not longer, from even needing to be considered.
Mostly I've been thinking about how VATS might be able to work in multiplayer.

Maybe only have the server host be able to do it, if you're playing with only one other person they're probably going to be very near by anyway and using skype or something so synchronizing attacks should be easy enough. but if more people are playing, maybe give them the option on their pipboy to split off into groups. by, for example picking a color, red, blue etc.. And then if someone in red team uses vats, everyone in red team uses vats. Any else nearby is just stuck walking in slow motion..

What about enemies though, I think perhaps enemies engaging anyone using vats would have to freeze, any enemies engaging different teams would just go in slow motion too. enemies not engaging anyone would also be frozen. But if any frozen npc is attacked by someone not using vats, they'll immediately unfreeze and start attacking that person.

Maybe put a range on vats, if that's even possible, I don't know, so if two groups are far away, and one group uses vats, it only uses vats in the area loaded around them? so the other group can carry on without being halted.

foxtacles
06-21-2011, 02:03 PM
There should be radio thats what completes the game like radio that everyone can hear at the same time! :D

It should be possible to sync the radio stations the players are listening to. When you get nearby another player, you can hear the radio station he currently listens to, for example 8)

Maybe a "ping" command in game, I don't mean literal ping, rather you hit a button in game and it'll stick a big marker over the head of other players or arrows that point in their derection for a few seconds. They'll probably be on the map eventually, but it makes them easier to find if they're in the area somewhere but you just can't spot them.

I planned such a feature for the time when I work on the GUI. At the moment I focus on syncing and fixing bugs, but there will definitely be something like that in the future :D

At the moment the game's got default.fos, which I assume is a regular save game renamed so players start off at that point and with that loadout etc. I guess you'll be making .fos files for people who join the server as well, but perhaps at some point you could let people pick one of their saves and have that uploaded to the server. So they can have their current level, skills, weapons etc.. then re download it, or just save it back to their computer (and possibly the server) when they quit.

default.fos will probably be the only savegame provided by vaultmp. The server may distribute other savegame files (and mods) to their players, and players may also upload their own savegame if the server allows them to. Actually I think it's good if the server takes control over the game. default.fos is the minimalist savegame - every player starts with a fully emptied inventory (without PipBoy, too) and low stats. As a server owner you may now decide to write a script which, for example, gives a PipBoy, a 9mm pistol and some ammo to a new player. The server may also require the player to download a custom savegame before joining. All the major Fallout script functions like AddItem, EquipItem, SetPos (just to name a few) will be made available via the PAWN scripting engine, and some new ones too ;)

The problem with VATS obviously is that it freezes the game client. If some player wants to use VATS, the only possible way to achieve that is to freeze all the other players games too, at least until the action takes place. You're right, I can't deal with that the next time as other tasks have higher priority, but I really like the idea with grouping players. I'll keep that in mind :)

LemiMarshall
06-21-2011, 04:18 PM
I have an idea for the Multiplayer! Maybe there should be jobs to get money for another idea I have, I think there should be jobs like like Lumberjacks(Cut down trees with a saw like in RTS), Scrap Collectors(pick up trash and then hold a certain button to collect it), Hitmen(Hired by other players to kill other players), Farmers(Grows vegetables, farms animals) ,Body Guards(Protects other players), Hunters(Which would kill creatures and retrieve their meat) and much more. With the money you earn from the jobs you should be able to purchase a location (Like metro stations, megaton, rivet city etc.) each costing more depending on the size and popularity and the contents and then build a kind of settlement thing like the mod Real Time Settler(RTS) Look on youtube or fallout3 nexus if you have never heard of it.
Thanks

QwertySanchez
06-21-2011, 07:14 PM
I've loaded up a video for the start of the Wanderers Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTdk47f8LNU
Not safe for work due to colorful language of raiders and me.

Another suggestion would perhaps be in game text chat, which you could probably tie to groups as well. Maybe emotes too, hit a button and your character does an animation or shouts something.. though that might result in spamming. (not that jericho doesn't constantly shout the same lines over and over anyway)

Perhaps add a group of huts somewhere for players to make their home instead of tenpenny towers/megaton. like a little town for players.

LemiMarshall
06-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Perhaps add a group of huts somewhere for players to make their home instead of tenpenny towers/megaton. like a little town for players.

And maybe you can script it so you get jobs like I said in my previous post to get money to buy these houses?

foxtacles
06-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Most of the features you mentioned will be scriptable. The mod will only provide Multiplayer functionality, leaving the actual configuration of gameplay to the server owner ;) Emotes and group chats are nice ideas, especially group chats are going to be there. I'm not sure about emotes, but if it's technically possible, it will get added in time :)

MajorPWNage
06-21-2011, 09:29 PM
It would be great if the other player could be recognized as a companion, sort of, so that u can trade equipment with each other or even maybe do a private chat.

PipBoy
06-22-2011, 06:30 AM
Yea like he said kinda like an allies or enemy list like lets say me and my friend are in skype im like oh lemme add u to my allies and the we get to trade armor and stuff.and pm.

Also that idea sounds amazing (of the radio)

how would the sleeping work in the game or the waiting cause
when u do that it just refills your health and speeds the weather up.
disabling it would be good :)

Is voice chat gonna be included.

oh and Recycler if you need any art work or anything with picture's tell me im a master in photoshop like im not lying just tell me.

ty!

Jeppe
06-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Yeah, about the bed feature.
Since in Singleplayer ''Fallout'' you can sleep to get to the morning or night. Would not that be a problem for players on the server?
And i hope u make NPC's respawn after their death, if not i can just go kill a good npc and only i can have that weapon.

But good work so far!

/Jeppe

foxtacles
06-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Sleeping and waiting will be disabled ;) Weather and time is going to be synced by the server. Having the option to team up and group with other players, including the functionalities of private trading, chatting and co-op gaming will be one of the core features of the mod, supported by a graphical user interface :D

Is voice chat gonna be included.

oh and Recycler if you need any art work or anything with picture's tell me im a master in photoshop like im not lying just tell me.

The network library the mod is running with does support voice chats, it shouldn't be a big deal to implement such a feature ;) Thank you for offering your PS skills, could come very handy when the mod gets near to the release date. The current logo (small-sized placed in the client) is OK, but somewhat boring. Artwork is always great, too. ;D

PipBoy
06-22-2011, 11:48 AM
You'll tell me what you need and ill do it.

QwertySanchez
06-22-2011, 08:04 PM
two nice easy ones.

When you load up Vaultmp, it'd be nice if the master server field already had vaultmp.com in there already..

An option to just connect straight to a server by entering an ip rather than checking a master server first would be nice too.

foxtacles
06-22-2011, 09:19 PM
two nice easy ones.

When you load up Vaultmp, it'd be nice if the master server field already had vaultmp.com in there already..

An option to just connect straight to a server by entering an ip rather than checking a master server first would be nice too.

Yeah, thats pretty easy. Comes with the next update :)

Megaton
06-23-2011, 06:39 AM
Hmm, What about making a Role Play server and script? has anyone here ever played San Andreas Multiplayer? And also, how are mods gonna work?

al5xander
06-23-2011, 01:24 PM
when is the new update coming?

foxtacles
06-23-2011, 05:06 PM
New update coming this weekend ;)

Hmm, What about making a Role Play server and script? has anyone here ever played San Andreas Multiplayer? And also, how are mods gonna work?

I actually took the idea with the PAWN scripting engine from SA-MP. I for myself have been a scripter for years ;D

Megaton
06-23-2011, 06:38 PM
New update coming this weekend ;)

I actually took the idea with the PAWN scripting engine from SA-MP. I for myself have been a scripter for years ;D

So all I would need to do is throw in a role play sever script?

foxtacles
06-23-2011, 07:06 PM
You will be able to write such scripts for vaultmp, but the scripting capabilities are very limited at the moment. It does currently not allow you to script anything real useful, I'm working on it though ;)

Megaton
06-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Hmm, well since this has the pawn scripting I'm probably just gonna take a RP script from some SAMP server.

QwertySanchez
06-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Just so long as that whole RP thing is an optional thing. I just wanna explore the wasteland with a few friends, kill things and maybe do a few quests...

Megaton
06-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Just so long as that whole RP thing is an optional thing. I just wanna explore the wasteland with a few friends, kill things and maybe do a few quests...

Don't worry, if there is Role Play it will only be on certain servers that say Role Play

Aeronix
06-26-2011, 07:12 AM
I think that you should disable ALL NPCS on the game, and make it so we can add them manually, or make an option for that.
I think I crash when I stay in radiation too long, not sure about that.
Also, you should add functions like SetPlayerRadiation / GetPlayerRadiation, SetPlayerControllable / GetPlayerControllable, GetPlayerCash (chips are used in this game for currency), SetPlayerCash (gives them chips etc).
These features are important for user systems, and yeah lol.
Make it so all doors are unlocked, and if we want to lock them, probably add like a command to lock a certain door.
Why is the pipboy disabled lol, how am I meant to equip stuff?
You should also make servers use ONE single masterlist, I'd hate to switch masterlists always :P

This is overall a great modification, I love it. At the moment, I'm using SA-MP's IDE for programming in PAWNO.

Lorenc
06-26-2011, 07:18 AM
Scripting:

native format(output[], len, const format[], {Float,_}:...);

This is a must.. I mean to create things that show variables in strings would be awesome!

to be used:

#define COLOR_WHITE 0xFFFFFFFF
new string[128];
format(string, sizeof(string), "Player (%d) has %d Cash!", clientid, pCash[clientid]);
SendClientMessage(clientid, COLOR_WHITE, string);
#undef COLOR_WHITE

Would be very useful :D

Hmm, well since this has the pawn scripting I'm probably just gonna take a RP script from some SAMP server.

I'm going to LMAO at you when you have over 1000 errors... The whole script wouldn't recongize anything from the Includes since they're not SAMP includes....

I think that you should disable ALL NPCS on the game, and make it so we can add them manually, or make an option for that.
Also, you should add functions like SetPlayerRadiation / GetPlayerRadiation, SetPlayerControllable / GetPlayerControllable, GetPlayerCash (chips are used in this game for currency), SetPlayerCash (gives them chips etc).
Make it so all doors are unlocked, and if we want to lock them, probably add like a command to lock a certain door.
You should also make servers use ONE single masterlist, I'd hate to switch masterlists always :P

This is overall a great modification, I love it. At the moment, I'm using SA-MP's IDE for programming in PAWNO.

Most of the things listed can be scripted with just plain variables...

General Alexander
06-26-2011, 11:19 AM

Fallout without npcs - isn't Fallout. even Fonline has npcs

Disable Windows Live - it causes huge CRUSHES

This will be like cheats

We don't need all door's unlocked - if u need it - build ur LOCKpeack skills - as it will be possible. Same fallout online like "2238" or "The Life After" have Locked doors, gates and terminals. if u dont like it - u can unlock them on ur own server

This is only Alpha Stage version of a VAULTMP - so keep ur patience. Pip boy will be added as soon as other problems will be solved. And don't say "u have to" or " u must add this" or " add that" - Admins know better what should they do - u can just make ur suggestions in this topic

Aeronix
06-26-2011, 12:27 PM

This will be like cheats

We don't need all door's unlocked - if u need it - build ur LOCKpeack skills - as it will be possible. Same fallout online like "2238" or "The Life After" have Locked doors, gates and terminals. if u dont like it - u can unlock them on ur own server

This is only Alpha Stage version of a VAULTMP - so keep ur patience. Pip boy will be added as soon as other problems will be solved. And don't say "u have to" or " u must add this" or " add that" - Admins know better what should they do - u can just make ur suggestions in this topic

Well professor, not everyone wants to make a questing server, they might just want the area left alone with no npcs..

Already have..

This will be like cheats
How will it be like cheats when the functions will be used over pawno scripting, anticheat system can be developed.

Again, this should be an optional feature, so we can develop housing systems.. And also, most terminals just have disengage lock, not engage lock.

I never said that he HAS to do certain stuff, I'm suggesting and used the world should which is based on my opinion.

foxtacles
06-26-2011, 12:59 PM
native format(output[], len, const format[], {Float,_}:...);

There's already the same thing, it's just named "strformat" ;) As there will be a chat, it's likely you have an equivalent to SendClientMessage too.

Disabling NPCs will be an option ;) Same with doors, they will be controllable via script. You can run a server which has gameplay very similar to the Singleplayer, but you may also throw everything out and script your own game :) That's the direction I have for vaultmp right now. Scripting functions like those you mentioned will be added over time, there are already some like GetPlayerHealth implemented :D

Thanks for the feedback.

Lorenc
06-26-2011, 01:07 PM
#define strformat format

Getting into my style of pawn ;)

Thanks, Soon i guess you'll be coding the chat system, which i cannot wait for :D

Aeronix
06-26-2011, 01:09 PM
No problem for the feedback, theres a lot of bugs but its still in alpha so I can wait patiently, do you plan to improve syncing any tim?

foxtacles
06-26-2011, 02:13 PM
No problem for the feedback, theres a lot of bugs but its still in alpha so I can wait patiently, do you plan to improve syncing any tim?

Improving sync is one of the main tasks I'm working on :D

Aeronix
06-26-2011, 02:23 PM

Improving sync is one of the main tasks I'm working on :D

What information can you give us for the next version cause I'm pretty excited :D
Thanks, Aleks :)

Lorenc
06-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Most things can be possible, if something like text drawing were possible..
Creates text on the screen and is visible for players and all players, it'd be great if sometime this were handed in.

and if you mind when you have the spare time to create a wikipedia for this site, explaining functions. I'd love to participate in showing usages for these 'functions' for the server :D

If you said that you were making a register system, I was looking forward to creating a INI include for the community soon, I don't know, I mean its your multiplayer mod, you can do what ever you want but it'd be more better to get players to have them encouraged to script features them selves. Yea, register systems could be created with commands: /register [parameter: password], login [Parameter: password]..

OnPlayerCommandText would be awesome when the chat system is complete for the MP, servers without commands are kinda boring... I would love to see this soon =D

Thats awesome how this multiplayer is becoming a huge success, keep up the good work, very good work infact ;)

Notice: Sorry if i don't make sence, kinda late out here.. I didn't get much sleep today :(

ArathHunter
06-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Most things can be possible, if something like text drawing were possible..
Creates text on the screen and is visible for players and all players, it'd be great if sometime this were handed in.

and if you mind when you have the spare time to create a wikipedia for this site, explaining functions. I'd love to participate in showing usages for these 'functions' for the server :D

Thats awesome how this multiplayer is becoming a huge success, keep up the good work, very good work infact ;D

Agreed, A wiki would make it easyer then looking through posts and topics for our awnsers and helps awnser common questions :P

foxtacles
06-26-2011, 03:10 PM
What information can you give us for the next version cause I'm pretty excited :D
Thanks, Aleks :)

https://www.vaultmp.com/index.php?topic=34.0

Just released that build. It mainly fixes problems and bugs with the mod, no new features. Bigger updates will be announced very soon ;) Please note that you have to update to the latest revision if you want to play on the vaultmp test servers :D

Command system and related callbacks like OnPlayerCommandText will definitely get introduced when the GUI is up. Text draws may get implemented too ;) Am also looking forward to set up a wiki during the next week, I think that's a good idea :)

ArathHunter
06-26-2011, 03:49 PM
If I knew How to, I'd make the Wiki as a head start for everyone :). Oh, with your permission of course ;D. Though, I'm sure that someone else besides me, around here has the knowledge to do it quick and easy 8)

General Alexander
06-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Can u add the ability to open ur inventory throw the cosole like ~player.showinventory? or any other way?

Lorenc
06-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Can u add the ability to open ur inventory throw the cosole like ~player.showinventory? or any other way?

Pointless, that could be scripted with a script once again...

Aeronix
06-26-2011, 11:17 PM

Pointless, that could be scripted with a script once again...

You do not even know how the mechanics to this game works, its not like SA-MP, there's a pip boy that allows you to use items, wear armor, and weapons, it cant be scripted, no..

foxtacles
06-27-2011, 05:16 PM
My thought behind the missing PipBoy is that the server owner shall decide whether the player can start with a PipBoy or not. You will be able to give a player the PipBoy via a script function like AddItem(clientID, itemID) very soon. In case you want everybody to have a PipBoy from the beginning, you would just call that function in the callback OnPlayerJoin. More detailed explanation on this is on the way ;)

(or just use your own savegame temporarily)

General Alexander
06-27-2011, 05:24 PM
My thought behind the missing PipBoy is that the server owner shall decide whether the player can start with a PipBoy or not. You will be able to give a player the PipBoy via a script function like AddItem(clientID, itemID) very soon. In case you want everybody to have a PipBoy from the beginning, you would just call that function in the callback OnPlayerJoin. More detailed explanation on this is on the way ;)

(or just use your own savegame temporarily)

That's good news. And what about synchronisation inside the buildings and other places exept wasteland? when will u work with it?

foxtacles
06-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Should be pretty easy to implement cell sync (interiors and stuff). VaultMP may require FOSE in the next release, as I can't find any in-build script function to determine the player's cell. And I'm not keen on working out a memory hack to do that thing. I tried FOSE and it will be pretty useful to VaultMP I suppose ;)

General Alexander
06-27-2011, 05:35 PM
sure dud, cause most mods need FOSE. It would be also good to add Darnified" - Hope u know what it is.

QwertySanchez
06-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Ooh, if it uses Fose, being able to use Wanderers Edition will be even easier.

in theory.

anyway, you forgot to add in somewhere to connect to a server directly by typing an ip instead of connecting to a master server first. Or is that something that's not going to be added?

foxtacles
06-28-2011, 06:27 PM
anyway, you forgot to add in somewhere to connect to a server directly by typing an ip instead of connecting to a master server first. Or is that something that's not going to be added?

I didn't forget, it's coming with the next update ;) I wasn't sure where to place another input field or button to join a server directly, that's why it isn't in the most recent revision. I will now make it so if you didn't select a server in the browser and press Join Server, you will be prompted to enter an IP address. Also there is going to be a servers.txt file where you can put a IP list, which will then get loaded automatically :)

QwertySanchez
06-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Aah, thanks, sorry to nag about it!

servers.txt sounds like a useful idea too. any idea when the next update will be and what might be in it?

foxtacles
06-28-2011, 08:14 PM
servers.txt sounds like a useful idea too. any idea when the next update will be and what might be in it?

I plan to release updates on a weekly basis, so the next revision will be available on Saturday / Sunday. I think I'll have to postpone the inventory system to the after next update due to the fact that synchronization has to be fixed first (game cells) and that I have to implement FOSE for that. Behind the scenes I'm also optimizing the vaultmp.dll code (machine code) which is quite important for the game's performance ;)

General Alexander
06-28-2011, 08:37 PM
will the players be able to hit each other now? can u make start from the leaving the vault to customise ur character? when i got a levl, exiting vault 101(on ur server) it worked.

foxtacles
06-28-2011, 09:09 PM
You should be able to see each other, you have to both start in the same game cell though (weapons and fighting animations not synced yet). For example, just use the default.fos and tell your friend not to move to far away from the Vault101 entrance so you can meet there. You can't customize your character, as syncing for items and character stats is not yet implemented. May take 2 more weeks at max.

:D

General Alexander
06-28-2011, 09:16 PM
every person who i asked - see each other but our characters blinking and "teleporting". we checked that we can see each other not only when start at 101 entrance. - and u dont need to rejoin the server - when i entered megaton my friend was outside - then he left the server, joined again(i was still there) and came to megaton near the robot - then i left the town and saw him outside without rejoin the server.

foxtacles
06-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Hm, if you don't mind just try to join the testserver with the default.fos which comes with vaultmp. I'm waiting there ;)

There's still this animation bug, if you encounter that your partner is moving faster then you the sync is likely to fail because he's always ahead of his real position when moving too fast ???

General Alexander
06-28-2011, 09:29 PM
yes, i know about that. i didnt mean that synchronisation is ok - not - its even terrible now. i meant that we can see each other not only at 101 entrance and not only when just starting....

foxtacles
06-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Yeah that synchronization was bad. What's your server ping? The game crashed for me... :-\

General Alexander
06-28-2011, 09:35 PM
ping is 51 - no bad at all. my game works without crushes since i deleted windows live.

foxtacles
06-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Ping is fine. I remember synchronization has been better in the past. Going to work out whats wrong with that now.

EDIT: Just made some improvements on player packet structuring, relevant data (running animation, position) should now arrive much faster, going to test tomorrow :)

Aeronix
06-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Ping is fine. I remember synchronization has been better in the past. Going to work out whats wrong with that now.

EDIT: Just made some improvements on player packet structuring, relevant data (running animation, position) should now arrive much faster, going to test tomorrow :)

Thats great news :D, do you have estimated date of when we have chatting enabled :D

foxtacles
06-29-2011, 02:19 PM
If we get lucky another member of the Brickster.net team will join as a developer, chat might then be available very soon ;) Else it may take some more weeks, depends on how long it takes to implement the inventory system / weapon synchronization.

Aeronix
06-29-2011, 02:23 PM
If we get lucky another member of the Brickster.net team will join as a developer, chat might then be available very soon ;) Else it may take some more weeks, depends on how long it takes to implement the inventory system / weapon synchronization.

Hehe let's hope they do join, you're doing great with the project now its just the matter of time.

ArathHunter
06-30-2011, 01:44 AM
Woo!!! always makes me so happy and excited when the release date of certian updates are told :D. Can't wait! ;D

foxtacles
07-01-2011, 02:27 PM
A stability update has been released. Does not include any new features like cell syncing, just fixes bugs and improves performance. Another update is coming this weekend ;)

NemesiS
07-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Hi, i'm new there :D
(i'm the gui that had the registration problem, on the facebook page XD)
There is too much to read in the previous pages so i give my suggestion without reading :)
i suggest to implement the script functions, to make some example gamemodes for pawn newbies (loke me :P)
and also to make a GUI for the future versions! :)

Aeronix
07-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Hi, i'm new there :D
(i'm the gui that had the registration problem, on the facebook page XD)
There is too much to read in the previous pages so i give my suggestion without reading :)
i suggest to implement the script functions, to make some example gamemodes for pawn newbies (loke me :P)
and also to make a GUI for the future versions! :)

He's planning to do the GUI's along with making more scripting functions.

NemesiS
07-03-2011, 10:38 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD ;D

Aeronix
07-03-2011, 01:00 PM
I suggest Recycler that you make it autoinstall the default.fos to the directory, and disable xlive automatically, the FOSE and stuff can be done manually, I don't want it to be advanced, i just want it simple like SA-MP.

Sparkster11
07-03-2011, 01:42 PM
This is more of a question than a suggestion but if quests do become avaliable and we do the "Power of ATOM" quest and blow up Megaton will that effect everyone in the game or will this option be simply disabled?

Just asking as it would be pretty awesome to blow up megaton in multiplayer >.>

foxtacles
07-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not that far with the mod to be able to answer your question yet ;) Quests like the one you mentioned will probably get disabled at first, though.

Aeronix
07-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Recycler said that most of everything will be scriptible so you might not have to do it through a quest but another way :P

Sparkster11
07-03-2011, 02:58 PM
What about leveling up? is that unchanged or would that need to be scripted too?

Aeronix
07-03-2011, 03:16 PM
What about leveling up? is that unchanged or would that need to be scripted too?

Levelling is not synced as well, I meant scripts will be able to access player stuff etc.

foxtacles
07-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Update is coming tomorrow (cell syncing and lots of internal improvements, finally). Next feature coming then is the inventory system: if anyone of you is willing to help out, you can! I have to copy & paste all of Fallout 3 / Fallout: New Vegas items including refIDs and format it like this: https://svn.brickster.net/vaultmp/trunk/Items.h all the info can be taken from https://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_items and https://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_items ;D

Sparkster11
07-05-2011, 08:51 PM
I'll be willing to help if i can understand it xD but just a quick question... what about the people that dont have the DLC'S will they just not get certain weapons or will it be implimented in such a way?

Also will the items be sort of scripted to where the user simply "gets" the items on loading as i've been messing with the savefile to give me armor and weapons via the console, which i know can be implemented into a script.

Is that the type of method your are thinking about?

foxtacles
07-05-2011, 09:00 PM
The server is telling which mods have to be installed (DLCs count as mods) and the player who wants to play on that server needs those mods. If the server owner doesn't define any mods, the player will need a clean Fallout install (or at least, vaultmp will automatically disable any mods) to play on the server. This is to ensure that all players on a server are able to obtain the same items etc.

Items can be given / equipped / removed via script (PAWN). The player will be able to take and use items in the game as well, though - as long as the server allows it ;) Furthermore the server can force you to use a specified "default" savegame which can be automatically downloaded via vaultmp from the server. Or you may be allowed to use your own, or "save" your savegame to the server so you can re-download it next time. It will be up to the server config how the game works.

Sparkster11
07-05-2011, 09:03 PM
The scripting and "mod" idea seems great! but the implementation of a default save would prevent leveling up and perks wouldn't it?

NemesiS
07-06-2011, 10:46 PM
The server is telling which mods have to be installed (DLCs count as mods) and the player who wants to play on that server needs those mods. If the server owner doesn't define any mods, the player will need a clean Fallout install (or at least, vaultmp will automatically disable any mods) to play on the server. This is to ensure that all players on a server are able to obtain the same items etc.

Items can be given / equipped / removed via script (PAWN). The player will be able to take and use items in the game as well, though - as long as the server allows it ;) Furthermore the server can force you to use a specified "default" savegame which can be automatically downloaded via vaultmp from the server. Or you may be allowed to use your own, or "save" your savegame to the server so you can re-download it next time. It will be up to the server config how the game works.

The idea of downloading a save is great! :) but it will be better if you can automatically download the mods that you need from the server or from a ftp website, like MTA San Andreas ;D ;)

Lorenc
07-07-2011, 12:59 AM
OnClientKeyStateChange(clientid, newkeys, oldkeys)

If this and Textdraws were created I could possibly script a Mouse feature =D

Aeronix
07-08-2011, 07:08 AM
We definitely need support for linux servers, since it's C++, I'm pretty sure it'd be the same since C++ is multios.

Stan
07-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Update is coming tomorrow (cell syncing and lots of internal improvements, finally). Next feature coming then is the inventory system: if anyone of you is willing to help out, you can! I have to copy & paste all of Fallout 3 / Fallout: New Vegas items including refIDs and format it like this: https://svn.brickster.net/vaultmp/trunk/Items.h all the info can be taken from https://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_items and https://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_items ;D

I do a bit of programming and REing myself. I also work a lot with splitting and formatting, here are your lists:
(Fallout 3)
--Armor and clothing
https://pastebin.com/P5zrbaCU
--Consumables
https://pastebin.com/jRX8qdhx
--Holodisks and notes
https://pastebin.com/j46rhcbe
--Weapons
https://pastebin.com/5YwAXvq5

That's all for today, will do some more later.

cerber
07-08-2011, 09:08 AM
I have suggestion for vaultmp which will compatible with mods from Nexus.
Servers should be complatibled with mods from Nexus. I will use this mod https://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34744 (center TPP camera)

Stan
07-08-2011, 09:15 AM
I have suggestion for vaultmp which will compatible with mods from Nexus.
Servers should be complatibled with mods from Nexus. I will use this mod https://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34744 (center TPP camera)

He already said that he will work on mod compatibility, but it is obviously not the priority right now as even syncing is not complete yet.

foxtacles
07-08-2011, 01:30 PM
I do a bit of programming and REing myself. I also work a lot with splitting and formatting, here are your lists:
(Fallout 3)
--Armor and clothing
https://pastebin.com/P5zrbaCU
--Consumables
https://pastebin.com/jRX8qdhx
--Holodisks and notes
https://pastebin.com/j46rhcbe
--Weapons
https://pastebin.com/5YwAXvq5

That's all for today, will do some more later.

Wow, thanks a lot, that is definitely boosting the development process :D

Stan
07-09-2011, 01:21 AM
New vegas:
--Weapons
https://pastebin.com/CZjWHMGB
--Clothing and armor
https://pastebin.com/hyr8PY14
--Consumables
https://pastebin.com/70LmFi6g
--Holodisks and notes
https://pastebin.com/BzX3EYqw
--Skill Books
https://pastebin.com/grn5mXys
--Skill magazines
https://pastebin.com/u1MqmWBk
--Miscellaneous
https://pastebin.com/tiBNRqVS

Aeronix
07-09-2011, 02:27 AM
New vegas:
--Weapons
--Clothing and armor
--Consumables
--Holodisks and notes

Did you split these manually, or using an application (which is most likely)

Stan
07-09-2011, 02:46 AM
New vegas:
--Weapons
--Clothing and armor
--Consumables
--Holodisks and notes

Did you split these manually, or using an application (which is most likely)

I made an app to split each individual page, but it needs to be configured manually based on certain points.

Fallout 3 (continued):
--Skill books
https://pastebin.com/Kk1g7awb
--Misc items
https://pastebin.com/z0ecEeTQ

Kar
07-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Please ignore my stupid suggestions.

Headshots.
Name tags
Implement the tag

GetGameSpeed
SetGameSpeed
ApplyAnimation
GetPlayerAnimationName
GetPlayerAnimationIndex
AttachElementToElement
GetElementPositionOffsets
IsPlayerInWater

OnElementDeath
OnElementSync
//OnPlayerTarget(onplayertargetaplayer)
OnPlayerTargetElement(elementtype)
OnPlayerWeaponChange(since theres no onplayerupdate so we cant make it outselfs)
OnPlayerClick(Mouse_button_id = {"LMB", "MMB, "RMB"}, Buttonstate /*for mmb, up or down*/, &Clickedelement, WorldPosX, WorldPosY, WorldPosZ, ScreenX, ScreenY);
OnPlayerKeyStateChange
OnPlayerStateChange
OnPlayerDive
OnPlayerEnterWater
OnPlayerLeaveWater

make things with elements! so instead of doing all of these thing

Aeronix
07-09-2011, 08:33 AM

Headshots.
Name tags
Implement the tag

GetGameSpeed
SetGameSpeed
ApplyAnimation
GetPlayerAnimationName
GetPlayerAnimationIndex
AttachElementToElement
IsPlayerInWater

OnElementDeath
OnElementSync
OnPlayerWeaponChange(since theres no onplayerupdate so we cant make it outselfs)
OnPlayerClick(Mouse_button_id = {"LMB", "MMB, "RMB"}, Buttonstate /*for mmb, up or down*/, &Clickedelement, WorldPosX, WorldPosY, WorldPosZ, ScreenX, ScreenY);
OnPlayerKeyStateChange
OnPlayerStateChange
OnPlayerDive
OnPlayerEnterWater
OnPlayerLeaveWater

OnObjectDeath and OnPlayerDeath should be a completely different thing.

Lorenc
07-09-2011, 04:20 PM

Headshots.
Name tags
Implement the tag

GetGameSpeed
SetGameSpeed
ApplyAnimation
GetPlayerAnimationName
GetPlayerAnimationIndex
AttachElementToElement
IsPlayerInWater

OnElementDeath
OnElementSync
OnPlayerKeyStateChange
OnPlayerStateChange
OnPlayerDive
OnPlayerEnterWater
OnPlayerLeaveWater

Most of these as well would be really useful, I'd love to see this in 0.1b (Version 1 of beta, after the alpha stage approx. No hassle, not forcing you to do this recycler but it can help servers with there development.

foxtacles
07-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Sorry for the lack of updates the last days, I've been ill but I'm back at work now. Looking forward to release revision 129 until the next weekend ;)

EDIT:

Thanks again to Stan, I just implemented all of your formatted data :) Here's what's still missing:

https://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_crafting
https://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_keys
https://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_Boy_bobblehead
https://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Caravan_card
https://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_keys
https://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_ammunition
https://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_weapon_mods
https://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Snow_globe

Great job, saved me alot of time ;)

Aeronix
07-13-2011, 02:48 AM
Sorry for the lack of updates the last days, I've been ill but I'm back at work now. Looking forward to release revision 129 until the next weekend ;)

EDIT:

Thanks again to Stan, I just implemented all of your formatted data :) Here's what's still missing:

I'll try help with them later. What is going to be new on Rev 129?

ArathHunter
07-13-2011, 10:27 PM
As always, Can't wait! ;D

Stan
07-14-2011, 10:04 AM

EDIT:

Fallout NV(Continued):
--Snowglobes
https://pastebin.com/S51qnPUt
--Weapon Mods
https://pastebin.com/VaQjzSzE
--Ammunition
(Skipped, not sure how you want me to format the different bullets. HP/AP etc.)
--Keys
https://pastebin.com/0zEsbiyA
--Caravan Cards
https://pastebin.com/GpdsqKva

Fallout 3(Continued):
--Bobbleheads
https://pastebin.com/Qm2ZrvJF
--Keys
https://pastebin.com/h0ePXVeM
--Schematics (Crafting)
https://pastebin.com/CE46gpAR

foxtacles
07-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Once again, great work 8) I could think of formatting the NV ammo types like this (if it's possible):

{".22LR round (Standard)", "0007ea27"},
{".22LR round (Hollow Point)", "0013e439"},

You could also format without types:

{".22LR round", "0007ea27"},
{".22LR round", "0013e439"},

The only important thing is that all baseIDs are known to the mod / the server :D The print name is needed for in-game GUI display (chat i.e.) and debug purposes only.

Stan
07-14-2011, 01:26 PM
--Ammo
https://pastebin.com/XVnjSccK

That was probably the most complicated split out of all of these.

Houstin
07-14-2011, 06:15 PM
1. Exception handling to help debugging. JException(look on CodeProject) is a nice library to use if you want more descriptive exceptions.
2. Signateur scanning. This would make supporting multiple versions of the game easier, but isn't required.

foxtacles
07-14-2011, 10:41 PM
1. Exception handling to help debugging. JException(look on CodeProject) is a nice library to use if you want more descriptive exceptions.
2. Signateur scanning. This would make supporting multiple versions of the game easier, but isn't required.

Will definitely integrate exceptions (https://www.codeproject.com/KB/exception/JException.aspx) ; stack and call traces are badly needed for debugging. Not sure if I'll support others than the most recent game versions. One problem is the mod requires FOSE / NVSE which also only supports the most recent version of the game. And actually I don't like the idea of players having different game versions :P

Stan: awesome. Going to integrate your lists tomorrow :D

I'll try help with them later. What is going to be new on Rev 129?

I finished work on Fallout New Vegas 1.4 compatibility yesterday; right now I'm at coding the network part to sync inventories. Extracting the player's inventory already works:

[2011-07-14 23:31:36] Inventory 0086c7c0 contains 10 items:
[2011-07-14 23:31:36] Item "Pip-Boy Gloves" (00025b83), count 1, type 100000, condition 100.000000, worn 1
[2011-07-14 23:31:36] Item "Pip-Boy 3000" (00015038), count 1, type 100000, condition 100.000000, worn 1
[2011-07-14 23:31:36] Item "Case, .308" (00140AA5), count 29, type 0, condition 0.000000, worn 0
[2011-07-14 23:31:36] Item "Naughty nightwear" (000c8e07), count 1, type 100, condition 100.000000, worn 0
[2011-07-14 23:31:36] Item "Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap" (00103B1C), count 1, type 0, condition 0.000000, worn 0
[2011-07-14 23:31:36] Item "Authority glasses" (0011f881), count 1, type 45, condition 45.000000, worn 1
[2011-07-14 23:31:36] Item "Vault 21 jumpsuit" (00104184), count 1, type 99, condition 98.599998, worn 0
[2011-07-14 23:31:36] Item "Bottle cap" (0000000F), count 494, type 0, condition 0.000000, worn 0
[2011-07-14 23:31:36] Item "Metal armor" (0003307f), count 1, type 44, condition 43.570000, worn 1
[2011-07-14 23:31:36] Item "Sheriff's hat" (0002DD80), count 1, type 40, condition 100.000000, worn 1

shorun
07-21-2011, 01:16 PM

If you played samp, then you know that RP or TDM or whatever mode is run by the server admin, trough the gamemode script.
So the mod doesnt make it rp, it merely makes it MP. you,. script it to be RP, or you dont. Standard it's just Multiplayer fallout, no rp, no tdm. just DM actually.

So ye, you CAN make rp, but ask that for gamemodes, not the mod itself.
Anyway, untill the mod is finished, this is kind of a useless discution anyway

Aeronix
07-21-2011, 02:15 PM
I will be making a huge rp server, Recycler it'd be very good if you added scripting functions for inventory and a chat system basic to communicate with other players.

shorun
07-22-2011, 11:36 AM
I will be making a huge rp server, Recycler it'd be very good if you added scripting functions for inventory and a chat system basic to communicate with other players.

Need help?
I've done SAMP scripting, so i'm familiar with Pawno. And played on several Rp servers.
And for inventory and chat, it speaks for itself that this is a high priority, no matter the type of server, and i'm sure it's a work in progress.

Aeronix
07-22-2011, 11:50 AM

Need help?
I've done SAMP scripting, so i'm familiar with Pawno. And played on several Rp servers.
And for inventory and chat, it speaks for itself that this is a high priority, no matter the type of server, and i'm sure it's a work in progress.

Depends, contact me on MSN messenger, I think we'll be able to get this project started when we have at least a chatbox and inventory system which should be a month or so :p.

shorun
07-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Sorry to say but i dont use msn. i've got skype tough

al5xander
07-22-2011, 09:13 PM
shouldnt this mod be in more tha o.1 alpha?

foxtacles
07-22-2011, 09:27 PM
It will stay 0.1 alpha for some more time. A lot of things aren't even implemented at all ;) I'm currently re-designing the command system (again), the network packets and scripting system. The mod has to prove much more flexible when it comes to tasks like "add item X, count Y to the inventories of player Z1, Z2 and Z3". When I've got the background work done, development of the game features will hopefully boost :D

albertom
07-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Fallout Online :D Great idea ;D
My suggestions are:
- Co-op missions and quests like in WoW (not sure if it is possible, if not I won't mind 'cause FOnline will be awesome anyway :D )
- Mod support? Could be that possible, maybe in a later version? I would love it so much :D
- Using Pip-Boy of course won't stop the world anymore
- If a player is in my "team", I can see him on the Pip-Boy map
- Possibility to create a local server, so I can easily play with friends, maybe even in LAN (this will make mod compatibility easier, because if I play with friends I can ensure we all use the same mods)
- Worlds should be "resetted" in order to restore every weapon/NPC/creature, so it should be nice to have a menu were I can save my characters (just like every MMORPG) and choose which one to use every time I enter the game

al5xander
07-26-2011, 05:50 AM
recycler could make a video on how to make a server and masterserver because(i dont want to be rude) i didnt understand shit about what that stood on the how to setup server site

Lorenc
07-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Kick & Ban clients from the server, player variables (most likely to be un-efficent though can help to communicate with other scripts and filterscripts (if there will be)

cerber
07-26-2011, 08:12 PM
I have a few suuggestions for admin, gm/modder access. There're should be a commands for access being admin/gm. If someone hack admin account, he doesn't get all fuction because he must know password for getting access.

Example, command: ~getaccess admin/gm/tester password.

foxtacles
07-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions :D Most of what you mentioned will be implemented soon (like core scripting functions such as Kick/Ban). I'll also try to make a video tutorial on how to setup vaultmp. Furthermore I've announced a vaultmp wiki the last weeks; I know it's still not there, but I hope to get it up this weekend.

News on vaultmp: work on the new and more efficient command system is almost finished. I will release an update tomorrow, though there is only a single game update included with this update: dieing / reloading savegame is somewhat functioning now ;D When dealing with this topic, I also thought it would be cool if gore (dismembered limbs) is going to get synced as well. The update after the upcoming one will feature scripting related / networking stuff.

Homer
07-27-2011, 04:12 PM
I haven't read the previous 7 pages in this thread, so I'm not sure if this idea has already been suggested, but I thought, "How will I know where my friends are?" So it would be a smart idea for the pip-boy world map to have a little indicator, showing where the other people are.

General Alexander
07-27-2011, 04:16 PM
I haven't read the previous 7 pages in this thread, so I'm not sure if this idea has already been suggested, but I thought, "How will I know where my friends are?" So it would be a smart idea for the pip-boy world map to have a little indicator, showing where the other people are.

Not a bad idea - but it better first to meet ur friends and select them in a pip boy or in a chat

foxtacles
07-27-2011, 05:51 PM
The vaultmp wiki is now up: https://wiki.vaultmp.com

You are welcome to edit / add pages (you have to register though). I will also post tutorials and further information regarding vaultmp from time to time there ;)

Lorenc
07-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Wiki really does need a scripting section, therefore I can explain most functions out :D

And perhaps PM me how to create a page if you can :(

foxtacles
07-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Revision 131:

https://www.vaultmp.com/index.php?topic=85.0

If you find .RPT files in your mod folder (after vaultmp crashes), it would be great if you could send them to me as they will help fixing bugs ;)

General Alexander
07-30-2011, 06:46 AM
Can u make workable buttons "A" when "take all" and "E" - to exit the inventory? And "F' for the Forse Lock?

madurk
07-30-2011, 05:00 PM
And R for repair and X for modification ?

foxtacles
07-30-2011, 07:17 PM
Shortcuts don't work anymore due to the way vaultmp uses the Fallout engine, but this way will get changed soon anyway so yeah, the buttons will work again then ;)

madurk
07-30-2011, 08:34 PM
-Added a window tchat when we press on a letter of the keyboard

Mark
07-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Hello, I think this will be my first post, but never mind that. Never mind that tho. Id like to make a suggestion, not for the game but to improve our community's ability to help develop and use ctmp. I think the best way to do that in the moment is by developing the mod (of course) and giving the community a way to communicate amongst each other/spread the hype/grow, which is actively pursued at the moment. But I must criticize the functionality and order of the forum, because I often find myself confused where I am able to post. I suggest trying to set up additional sub-forums similar to low budget developing games programmed by a small set of people (e.g. terraria forums: https://www.terrariaonline.com/forum/)
if a similar system would be implemented in the future we can be sure of a happy ctmp-community.

foxtacles
07-30-2011, 11:39 PM
I made some changes to the forum structure, if you have any more ideas / suggestions to improve that further, please let me know ;)

General Alexander
07-31-2011, 12:37 AM
make it possible to add signatures

foxtacles
07-31-2011, 12:57 AM
What do you mean by signatures? You already can have a signature ???

vpontin
07-31-2011, 02:41 AM
-Disable the storyline in suport for 4Fun servers ;)
-modify the syntax of some commands (e.g. GetPlayerpos(playerid, &x,&y,&z);)
-create more callbacks, and a client chat (i dont see in my tests :-\ )

sorry my bad english nd my newbie questions, I came from SA:MP :P

Lorenc
07-31-2011, 05:10 AM
-Disable the storyline in suport for 4Fun servers ;)
-modify the syntax of some commands (e.g. GetPlayerpos(playerid, &x,&y,&z);)
-create more callbacks, and a client chat (i dont see in my tests :-\ )

sorry my bad english nd my newbie questions, I came from SA:MP :P

I have created a function for that, you can check the useful functions topic for it.

Dantiko
08-07-2011, 11:21 PM
In the future:
Vaultmp will have lots and lots of servers, we could add a favorite servers tab, a recently played, a server filter before searching for example:
Fallout 3 : Yes/No
Fallout NV Yes/No

Also servers should get a X players limit, rather than unlimited. And the V key(VATS) should be unbound to enter VATS mode.
A new HUD ingame so that theres a chat box(not an entirely new HUD) and if we don't use VATS we don't use AP.

ArathHunter
08-08-2011, 02:05 AM
if we don't use VATS we don't use AP.

There are mods like the sprinting mod that uses AP, adding VATS back in well... maybe if you removed the stop time and slow motion that VATS gives, then maybe. but unless thats possible (and I have no idea if it is, sounds like it isent the way I read it), I don't think adding it back in wouldent ruin it for the rest of the other people trying to play

vpontin
08-08-2011, 02:42 AM
And the V key(VATS) should be unbound to enter VATS mode.

The 'V' key could be used to use the chat like 'T' key in SA:MP ;)

ArathHunter
08-08-2011, 05:26 AM
I never did understand the chat key being the T key in FPS games, The Enter Key is still easyer as I see it.

vpontin
08-08-2011, 08:21 AM
I never did understand the chat key being the T key in FPS games, The Enter Key is still easyer as I see it.

I said that the 't' key opens the text input, 'ENTER', obviously, send the message to the server.

vpontin
08-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Sorry Double Post, I did not find the option to attach on 'edit post' :o
the image clearly shows the use of the key 't'. Until it's pressed, the chat is 'disabled'. When pressed, the writebar and a scrollbar appear.
I just said I would like to see this button on VaultMP like the VATS's key, which is disabled and is not at risk of confusing users with custom keysets ;D

cerber
08-08-2011, 09:05 AM
A new HUD ingame so that theres a chat box(not an entirely new HUD) and if we don't use VATS we don't use AP.

Project Nevada uses AP for sprint, you can see how it works. I think there shouldn't be VATS but AP should be implemented.

Anyway, is it possible to implement VoIP in vaultmp, example Pipboy radio will be used for it. You can choose channel and talk with players without use other communicators, like TS or Mumble. What do you think?

Dantiko
08-08-2011, 04:30 PM
entering vats automatically pauses the game, if we can prevent it from pausing, well, lots of work to do(Im not the programmer here)

foxtacles
08-08-2011, 05:51 PM
I suppose it's pretty much impossible to enable VATS without pausing the game. I may re-implement VATS, but this would require to freeze everybodys game when a player enters VATS mode. The server can define a rule like that every player is allowed to use VATS once every 30 minutes or so ;)

Dantiko
08-08-2011, 10:25 PM
No... simple no, hmm... can we remake parts of the wasteland on instances, if a player is in an instance using vats, we simply wouldn't see him, or his enemies, and also use T key for teamchat when we form team with other players.

CouncilOfDave
08-09-2011, 02:00 AM
Hey, everyone, first post. I found this forum a few days ago and have been reading through it, and I gotta tell ya - I'm pretty excited about this. I'm utterly amazed at what you're doing. That being said... I have no skills that would be useful, as my scripting ability is limited to basic GECK scripting, etc. You guys are on a whole other level than me. I have been playing Fallout for quite a while though, and hope that I can help with testing, suggestions, etc. I think I have a pretty good idea how this is going to work, please correct me if I don't grasp it as well as I think. As each server would be set up differently, I understand that not all of these would apply equally, and I'm looking forward to the fact that if we don't like the way any of the servers have the game set up, we can make one ourselves. That's just fantastic. I will try to focus on basic game mechanics, though.

I really don't see how it's feasible to have any vanilla game functions that stop time or quickly advance time such as VATS, sleeping, pause, etc. When using a pip boy for inventory purposes the pause wouldn't work for that reason, as well as while bartering, or any other item or player inventory menu, etc. While this could work in theory, it would seriously suck in practice for other players affected by those pauses.

As far as main quests, or other quests, as a general rule I have no idea how those would work. The most obvious example is Power Of The Atom, etc. If one player blows up Megaton, it would obviously affect everyone else on the server. Same with the player home if you take the other direction, really only one person would be able to live there, etc. Some other examples would be quests such as Stealing Independence, where you have a single, specific item that needs to be removed from it's location and brought to another. The only person that would be able to do it on the server would be the first person that completes it.

Some suggestions that might work would be that certain areas are single player only areas, such as Megaton. When you enter Megaton, you are now in a single player only world. This way you can do the Power Of The Atom quest (though only disarming it) and gain a living space in the normal player home. Outside the gates is MP, inside is SP. It could work, I suppose. I have no idea how difficult it would be, or if it's even possible.

On the flip side of that coin, each person could do the disarm quest for XP and caps, like normal. But once you disarm it, you cannot do the quest again with that PC. The next guy through the gate could still talk to Lucas Simms, and disarm the same bomb you just did, and collect a reward... but not the player home.

For each of those you would have to remove some of the NPC dialog, and the options for blowing it up, etc. Remove Burke from Megaton, empty his house, etc. Whatever. I would also think that certain NPC's that know you or your father personally, such as Moriarty or Dr. Li, should have dialog options removed that specifically ID you as James' son/daughter. Have all of them treat you as a normal person in dialog. To do this a lot of the main quest would have to be disabled, and certain areas opened up that are only accessible through the main quest. Afterall, you're just another wastelander right?

Stealing Independence could be done similarly, where the entire game world inside the National Archives respawns when a player gets the quest from Abraham Washington. After that player finishes the quest, and removes the Declaration, the world stays at it is. Robots dead, containers looted, etc. To respawn it, a different player must get the quest from Washington, and the National Archives world respawns then. Sydney would have to stay there, though. Instead of her being a follower or leaving the NA to hang at Rivet City, she could just chill out there. Again, just spit balling.

As far as in-game chat, I gotta say that I prefer the way it's done in 2238. Hitting the enter key opens up the text box, you type, and hit enter to send it. If the text box is empty, hitting enter closes it. It gets very, very easy to use pretty quickly. The Enter key is useless in the vanilla game during play, anyway. I also like how the option to see the different players names floating above their head is implemented. Makes it easy to spot your friends or enemies when they enter. I would suggest that as long as they are in your Perception range, you can see their name tagged above their head. If you want to tag them as friends or enemies, I like that function, but have no preference for how it's done, if done at all.

A few people mentioned radios, and I gotta say, I love using radio's. They make it incredibly easy to keep in contact with your friends, do multi-player missions where you aren't near each other, etc. I don't like the idea of seeing your friends on your pip-boy map at all times. I would think that if they want to be found, they can tell you where they are over the radio. If they are out in the waste in a random cell, they can send a distress signal that puts a red waypoint on your compass, etc. Anyone who has played 2238 should know what I mean, as it's one of the most useful features of that game.

Player death is always a fun topic. In the vanilla game when you die, you respawn pretty quickly. And you respawn with all your gear at your last save point. Obviously, I assume that save points are not possible in this mod. How long does the players body lay on the ground after death? Is the player able to be looted? When the player respawns will they have their gear on them still? Do they only have what gear was not looted? I would personally prefer that each player is dead for the duration of say a minute, and in that time they can be looted - of anything and everything. Weapons, caps, armor, ammo, etc. If everyone is nice and leaves you with all your inventory, you respawn with it. If people are cruel and leave you with nothing, you respawn with nothing. If they take it all, and leave a single round of 10mm and a crappy pistol on you, well that's what you get on respawn.

I like the idea of starting the game via FWE, in an abandoned shack. Perhaps this could be a player home, perhaps the shack drops you in a random spot in the wastes when you exit, forever unable to return to the shack. Don't know, don't care really. As long as I can get into the MP world, I'll be happy. But I do like it, and I've always played with FWE for that reason. If the shack was used as a player home, then random shacks would appear on the map every time someone made a character. As far as how to handle player homes, if any, I have no idea. Maybe a series of abandoned hotels with available rooms from an NPC, rentable by the game week/day/whatever. If the number of PC on a server is limited, you might be able to match that number to the number of available rooms. Some could be at Tenpenny, some at Megaton, some at Rivet City, Big Town, etc. Maybe build a few new locations, small towns, whatever. So if there are 50 players limited to a server, then possibly 50 rooms/shacks/etc available total. You could get a key when you rent the room, that is not able to be looted (or maybe it should be?), and the key is removed from inventory if you don't pay your rent. heh

Anyway, that's just the stuff I remember thinking while reading this thread. I'll keep reading, and hopefully install the available alpha version soon and give it a shot, so I can give a more informed opinion...

jam
08-09-2011, 07:06 AM
personally i reckon there should only be one house, but when players enter it they go to there own version of the house so the house is sp only but everything else is mp and maybe you could invite people to enter your house, like giving them keys in there inventory, then when they go to enter the house they have the option to enter there house or anyones house they have the keys to

cerber
08-09-2011, 09:06 AM
I suppose it's pretty much impossible to enable VATS without pausing the game. I may re-implement VATS, but this would require to freeze everybodys game when a player enters VATS mode. The server can define a rule like that every player is allowed to use VATS once every 30 minutes or so ;)

IMO, there wouldn't be VATS in mp because freezing of everybody is quiet annoying. Example I'm going to city X and I meet someone which is fighting with NPC and he use VATS. I will freeze and must wait for end combat/VATS but I don't want to fight. There should be only real time fight or special gametypes for VATS (turn based) fights or options for enabled/disabled VATS.

Dantiko
08-09-2011, 09:02 PM
the player won't be able to use VATS in cities, the player will only be able to use VATS if there aren't any players near or the players that are near are on his party, when a player enter VATS the game pauses for him and his party, if another player comes and find a player/party using VATS he wouldn't see them.
Or simply don't enable VATS, I prefer using AP for running like on Nevada mod.
Also, CouncilOfDave the idea of a single house sucks because if a gang of pks camp outside it when you leave with all your money on your way to buy something, you would be transformed into GOO

CouncilOfDave
08-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Also, CouncilOfDave the idea of a single house sucks because if a gang of pks camp outside it when you leave with all your money on your way to buy something, you would be transformed into GOO

I never suggested the idea of a single house. I suggested the idea of many houses, available at the location of your choosing (availability dependent, of course)... or making Megaton single-player only when you enter/exit the gates. Again, I don't know the best way to do all of this, they were just random ideas.

As far as PK's camping at your house, nothing will stop that, no matter where each player lives. They can also camp at the entrance/exit to any town, any trader, or any main travel route. How do I know? I'm a PK. I'll be the guy poppin' players in the grape with a round of .308 for fun and loot, and I won't have to wait outside their place to do it, either. At least if Megaton is a single-player only world when you enter, you can fast travel from your porch and not have to exit the gates. (Although I dislike the idea of fast travel in a MP game, without significant limitations on it.)

Even having guarded towns/merchants really only does so much. Then all you need is two people - one to kill the player, the other to loot him without drawing fire from guard NPC's.

I consider this all to be "The Wasteland", and pretty much expected of any Fallout MMO. And even if it's not me, it will be someone else.

But like i said, just throwing out suggestions.

Dantiko
08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
I killed a guy :D, he had no pip boy ;D

cerber
08-10-2011, 09:17 AM
It seems to me that, VATS doesn't fit to play multiplayer especially with the open world. Would be a little strange to travel the wilderness and not see someone who fights with raiders before us. After the fight that suddenly appeared, because VATS has passed. I think a good solution would be to completely remove the VATS system and improve the elements of FPS and action points.

You understand that VATS is a good option for single player, but is not suitable for multiplayer. Anyway, if someone really wanted to fight that only in VATS I suggest you do the 2 battle modes: real-time combat and VATS (turn based) combat for disabled/enabled by admin/owner server.

We can use bullet time for 3-5 sec in combat if you example have perk or something. Bullet time will be something like VATS but it doesn't stop everybody.

Genocyber
08-10-2011, 02:53 PM
I think alotta these suggestions will be dependant on mods. Recycler is giving us the framework for the multiplayer, after that it should be reletively easy for us modders to create the things you guys have suggested bar implimentation of vats.

For example in the mod my teams working on, you can build bases to produce your troops and earn an income, but you can also rent/buy an apartment/house in one of the megacitys to store your personal items. Each house has its own key, which cant be lockpicked, furthermore, there will be immensely powerful armed guards outside these apartments/houses to rape any potentional pkers.

CouncilOfDave
08-10-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm already working on a perk based crafting/professions mod... lol. Whether or not I'll sever set up a server remains to still be seen, but I gotta have SOMETHING to do.

Dantiko
08-10-2011, 07:07 PM
ok :D

ArathHunter
08-11-2011, 12:37 AM

I said that the 't' key opens the text input, 'ENTER', obviously, send the message to the server.

I ment Pressing t to open the text input, its annoying. in games like TF2 and gmod, I always set my text button to "Enter", and make the spray paint T, or teamchat if theres no spray option in the game.

Aeronix
08-11-2011, 07:06 AM

I ment Pressing t to open the text input, its annoying. in games like TF2 and gmod, I always set my text button to "Enter", and make the spray paint T, or teamchat if theres no spray option in the game.

Use AutoHotKey:
Key::
SendInput t
Return

Recycler doesn't need to design a whole new system just for one persons opinion.

ArathHunter
08-11-2011, 07:46 AM

Use AutoHotKey:
Key::
SendInput t
Return

Recycler doesn't need to design a whole new system just for one persons opinion.

Well I'm not assuming he does, and I feel quite insulted you expect that of just Me, Though if the majority feels more comfortable with T then so be it, as long as there is a option to change the hotkey to chat, I'm happy.

As for the command things you typed out for me. I have no idea sadly what to do with that.

cerber
08-13-2011, 10:11 AM
I have simple suggestion about exploding limbs, heads cut scene managed by server. There should be option to disabled/enabled or change "frequency" of it.

Dantiko
08-14-2011, 12:36 AM
or a server with a plugin that blows everyone's heads and all limbs at the same time.

Maxl
08-14-2011, 09:35 AM
I have simple suggestion about exploding limbs, heads cut scene managed by server. There should be option to disabled/enabled or change "frequency" of it.

i think it would be better to disable all cutscenes at server think about battle where is alot of ppl and u shoot one guy to head and cutscene comes then you cant do anything, at that time other ppl shoot u.

CouncilOfDave
08-14-2011, 09:51 AM

i think it would be better to disable all cutscenes at server think about battle where is alot of ppl and u shoot one guy to head and cutscene comes then you cant do anything, at that time other ppl shoot u.

Well, if VATS, pause, and sleeping/waiting won't work, I'm guessing neither will the kill cams or the other cut scenes.

Mazurca
08-14-2011, 05:54 PM
For me a faction mod where for example a player can join in enclave or in the bos and outcast for make wars in the wasteland.

Dantiko
08-15-2011, 05:44 PM
conqueror mode YES!
Or a super mutant killing server, everyone gets an Experimental MIRV and lots of Super Mutants Behemoths appear :D

General Alexander
08-15-2011, 07:59 PM
year Conqeror mod - the best and Roleplay

MajorPWNage
08-17-2011, 10:48 PM
https://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=43479

Not really something for you to add but to all the fallout MP guys out there, this will be an absolute must for team play.

cerber
08-22-2011, 05:05 PM
https://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=43479

Not really something for you to add but to all the fallout MP guys out there, this will be an absolute must for team play.

Hmmmm, very nice suggestion. I think for pvp servers, that would be a pretty good feature.

Dantiko
08-22-2011, 05:19 PM
A must for team play for sure, I agree.

Houstin
08-25-2011, 06:34 AM
I'd like some sections / forums for C++ scripting. It will make things cleaner, and will prevent some confusion.

Dantiko
08-26-2011, 05:25 PM
there is already an area on the home page.

Crawdy
09-02-2011, 08:32 AM
hehe that will be fun if spamming stimpack on other to death xD

Lokies
09-06-2011, 06:46 AM
Yeah, about the bed feature.
Since in Singleplayer ''Fallout'' you can sleep to get to the morning or night. Would not that be a problem for players on the server?
And i hope u make NPC's respawn after their death, if not i can just go kill a good npc and only i can have that weapon.

But good work so far!

/Jeppe

It would actually work Instead of Disabling it you could simply Make it as if your sleeping and the rest of the world is still going on, As if it does not speed up time change the weather or any of that, It would simply be a way of healing Or un-crippling Limbs, Same for vats it could work as if your not frozen and the world still goes on As if you were not in vats, Just my idea on how it would work,

And as for my suggestion I dont know if this has been suggested or not i did not read all the other players comments, I would like to see a voice chat

Scarecrow65118
09-06-2011, 05:03 PM
I was thinking a live stream radio station, with one of us being a host and having some sort of "Vaultmp news show" We could rip songs of the CONELRAD mod and classic fallout songs, but I can't even begin to think of the ungodly amounts of scripting this would take.

Volumed
09-06-2011, 06:28 PM
I was thinking a live stream radio station, with one of us being a host and having some sort of "Vaultmp news show" We could rip songs of the CONELRAD mod and classic fallout songs, but I can't even begin to think of the ungodly amounts of scripting this would take.

Good try it out, why will this take ungodly amounts op scripting? There are enough tools and the player is just a little flash and php..

Or do you mean in game?

Scarecrow65118
09-06-2011, 07:38 PM

Good try it out, why will this take ungodly amounts op scripting? There are enough tools and the player is just a little flash and php..

Or do you mean in game?

I mean in game. But I never thought of one outside of the game. Slipped my mind. But if we were to implement it ingame I wouldn't begin to know how to do it. My script writing abilities are complete shit. As far as I know it'd be like adding a new radio station mod every day. Its not the station part that's daunting, its streaming to the game that puzzles me.

Volumed
09-06-2011, 07:51 PM

Or do you mean in game?

I mean in game. But I never thought of one outside of the game. Slipped my mind. But if we were to implement it ingame I wouldn't begin to know how to do it. My script writing abilities are complete shit. As far as I know it'd be like adding a new radio station mod every day. Its not the station part that's daunting, its streaming to the game that puzzles me.

Oooh ok, still it's not easy if you don't understand it. But the script don't have to be that hard what you make from it, the game already works with normal kind of music files (MP3) there is a way to let wmv files not sure if it's possible with mp3 to open the file to start a live stream. I am not sure if it's possible to change the format files to WMVs ingame.

markuz008
03-20-2012, 01:05 AM
hello, im not sure if this is possible in multiplayer, but if VATS would work as bullet-time (one activates, every player get bullet-time effect). and AP would be consumed pretty fast(for balance).

oh and Recycler, i must say, i registered here just to tell you that youve made one hellava good project, even if its alpha, it looks like its gonna have huge potential :) i myself prefer coop rather than mmorpgs. thanks for VaultMP to you and others who help you!

Volumed
03-20-2012, 03:34 PM
I am an advocate to keep it out. 1. Because it's more easy to keep it out 2. Where is it good for? For people who can not shot? 3. noobs^_^
4. It's not realistic and i hope for hardcore roleplay.

markuz008
03-20-2012, 04:14 PM
I am an advocate to keep it out. 1. Because it's more easy to keep it out 2. Where is it good for? For people who can not shot? 3. noobs^_^
4. It's not realistic and i hope for hardcore roleplay.

sure sure... it was just an suggestion if you guys would wanna save VATS, but id prefer to disable it forever though.

Dantiko
03-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Well, thing is, VATS is for noobs, who has 100% of that skill don't need VATS to hit the target, specially with a sniper rifle, well, my idea would be 100% small guns for everyone since start, but no VATS.

markuz008
03-21-2012, 10:49 PM
nah, 100% guns would be not cool, characters aint professional killers, let it start as usually, 1 lvl with about 15-30 guns skill. so that no one would get gauss rifle and go hunting on a deathclaw... the more "progress to do" the more fun to play with a friend... lets say you play with a good friend in coop, he has guns skill 30, you have 60... you decide to duel him or something...

oh yea, about duels or races, i just got an idea... implement "challenges", a somekind of side quest which is always repeatable... or maybe arena fights... where you can fight with your friend against few (or maybe hordes) of chosen monsters... like in The Thorn place. or play Caravan game with a player... stuff like that. but all those ideas could be saved for later, when VaultMP would get out of testing period.

Tomo
03-22-2012, 07:36 PM
@markuz008
Most of those things can/will be controlled by the server's script. Up to the server owner to decide how that works.

CTCCoco
03-23-2012, 09:36 AM
oh yea, about duels or races, i just got an idea... implement "challenges", a somekind of side quest which is always repeatable... or maybe arena fights... where you can fight with your friend against few (or maybe hordes) of chosen monsters... like in The Thorn place. or play Caravan game with a player... stuff like that. but all those ideas could be saved for later, when VaultMP would get out of testing period.
You are talking about gamemodes. Scripters will be able to do whathever gamemode, including yours. I'll do a roleplay.

Dantiko
03-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Just ask some rp ideas with us before start scripting, make a list and go implementing everything, also, basic rp includes a job, a salary and for sure a place to live, also someone's gotta fix it when vendors run out of items.

Volumed
03-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Comon Dantiko, we did this talk a lot of times... Not again.. You have to be patient.

Bizzclaw
05-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Can you direct me to a place where I can donate? I'm sorry if it's already there somewhere and I missed it, but I don't think you can complain considering I want to donate. Multiplayer Fallout has gone far but I want to see this go all the way. :D

foxtacles
05-09-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm honored that you would like to donate to the project; donations were possible for a short period of time but I took that option down again some days ago.

This is mainly for the reason that I'm already at my limits of time I can spend on vaultmp. I have several jobs, earning enough money for everything I need. That just means that no donation will make the project progress faster (except if you want to pay me a half-time or full-time job). What we need are developers who can help with the coding.

Anyway, I'm really thankful that you would like to donate, but I just can't accept your money. I can't give release dates, nor any promises or estimates when features will be done. Maybe I'll open up donations once 0.1a has been fully released ;)

edit: I like your avatar

NeoPhoenix
07-10-2012, 03:04 PM
some scripting functions

CallLocalFunction
CallFunction
both with parameters name[], format[], {Float,_}:... to call either dynamic local script publics or all publics defined in every running script. and maybe a function to check if the public exists (local or global). should work without MakePublic on main()

NeoPhoenix
07-14-2012, 06:36 PM
creating player related functions like AddPlayerItem which are fetching the containerID by a given playerid. so every player gets an id while connecting (between 0 and MAX_PLAYERS, first free playerid is taken) -> easier for scripting (for example looping players, saving player related variables is much easier [because offsets from GetList are changing if players are leaving])

Dantiko
12-27-2012, 02:34 PM
I would like to know if there is a possibility to add "proximity voice chat" to the game in the future.
It consists in the person being able to hear other person nearby speaking through the microphone, and the volume that it's heard depends on the distance the other person is.
Is it possible in the future?

Volumed
12-27-2012, 03:06 PM
I would like to know if there is a possibility to add "proximity voice chat" to the game in the future.
It consists in the person being able to hear other person nearby speaking through the microphone, and the volume that it's heard depends on the distance the other person is.
Is it possible in the future?

I though Rob said he was maybe going to do it, Ofcourse this is a feature somewhere on the last of the list.

Silentfood
12-27-2012, 06:31 PM
I though Rob said he was maybe going to do it, Ofcourse this is a feature somewhere on the last of the list.

I see it being a very valuable asset to the game, but from my past experience with application development I can see how complicated it can be to implement it into VaultMP. It is doable surely, but it's going to be pretty hard to implement.

roby65
12-28-2012, 09:53 AM
I see it being a very valuable asset to the game, but from my past experience with application development I can see how complicated it can be to implement it into VaultMP. It is doable surely, but it's going to be pretty hard to implement.

We use raknet for the networking, and it already has a plugin for voice on mic, it's only not a priority, we need to implement a lot of things before.

Aeronix
06-06-2013, 02:34 PM
I'm not sure about whether VaultMP is going to feature server side inventory or we have to add it in but, a function to get the items from a player's inventory would be nice for an anticheat.
A utility or class to also grab the height value of a coordinate tile will make NPC AI considerably flawless because it's needed to walk around perfectly, this should probably be one of the priorities along with synchronization.

EDIT: I've also noticed that NPC sync hasn't really been finished either, death of NPCs are not functioning properly (deleted from the game, there should probably be a toggle function to leave a corpse / remains.) I've also noticed that this can be a complete mess due to having to recode things that Bethesda made from the beginning. VaultMP is a very complicated project and will have to unfortunately remake many things if it's going to be based via server side. Luckily for SA-MP there was nothing much that really needed to be recreated.

coocookaboom
08-04-2013, 09:34 AM
i really think it would be a great idea to put an option to vote which game (fallout 3. or fallout new vegas) should be focused on.(i think fallout new vegas with its reputation system and ability to aim down the iron sights would be great for multiplayer. and i loooove the fallout 3 map. but i got really tired of shooting a gay in the middle of the wasteland and having the whole world magically know lol. so if you could work on new vegas that would be awesome(however if you dont have the time/money/help needed to do so) i (and a lot of other people) would be very greatful if you could somehow import those features from new vegas over to fallout 3 (in a mod/on servers/as part of the vaultMP mod) either one would be amazing to play. with that one simple feature id be able to play countless hours with my friends without getting tired of it. and id extremely greatful if you would consider doing so

Xolitude
08-06-2013, 02:15 AM
i really think it would be a great idea to put an option to vote which game (fallout 3. or fallout new vegas) should be focused on.(i think fallout new vegas with its reputation system and ability to aim down the iron sights would be great for multiplayer. and i loooove the fallout 3 map. but i got really tired of shooting a gay in the middle of the wasteland and having the whole world magically know lol. so if you could work on new vegas that would be awesome(however if you dont have the time/money/help needed to do so) i (and a lot of other people) would be very greatful if you could somehow import those features from new vegas over to fallout 3 (in a mod/on servers/as part of the vaultMP mod) either one would be amazing to play. with that one simple feature id be able to play countless hours with my friends without getting tired of it. and id extremely greatful if you would consider doing so

New Vegas support was removed quite a while ago. The decision(I think) is final.

Vinge
08-09-2013, 03:33 AM
I have an idea if you all want to implement a money system, you could have a script the spawns a vendortron who will open an inventory screen for the player(name) that spawned it, then open a shop screen for other players. (Of course the player who spawned could probably be stolen from if someone copies that name but just an idea as long as others are playing fair on the server.)

Also hi been modding for about 8 months and figured I'd try out VaultMP been tinkering with it for about a week and made a pvp map for it. :p

roby65
08-09-2013, 08:13 PM
I have an idea if you all want to implement a money system, you could have a script the spawns a vendortron who will open an inventory screen for the player(name) that spawned it, then open a shop screen for other players. (Of course the player who spawned could probably be stolen from if someone copies that name but just an idea as long as others are playing fair on the server.)

Also hi been modding for about 8 months and figured I'd try out VaultMP been tinkering with it for about a week and made a pvp map for it. :p

It will probably be possible with scripting.

foxtacles
08-09-2013, 08:18 PM
It already works with the repository version. GUI windows can be shared between multiple clients, so a vendor / shop screen can live update to all players who have it open etc.

KingIvan
08-19-2013, 05:10 PM
For the money system its preaty easy to use Caps.... just make the server add or remove them when the player buys/sells items. And you just need to add a line where it checks the caps u have and the caps you need to buy an item. I use caps on my serveer that im working on...Nuka Cola forever ;)

foxtacles
08-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Nuka Cola forever ;)

https://fuch.si/6V ;)

roby65
08-19-2013, 06:56 PM
https://fuch.si/6V ;)

Oh My God. Where do i buy this?!

foxtacles
08-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Here: https://fuch.si/6k ;) I bought 3 crates - 100 euro including shipping + bottle deposit

KingIvan
08-19-2013, 09:51 PM
I want that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!