View Full Version : Confirmations on questions

ArathHunter
06-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Hey All, I've got a couple questions because I don't think I'm getting this right. From what I've read of some of these posts. Seem to contradict some of the things that happend for me when I ran the game with the vaultmp client.

1. When I join a server from the client (eg. The wasteland test server) should I get sent to the Main menu and have to load up my game like I normaly do Like for single player?

2. I read somewere that we shouldent have our pip boys on our wrists. Though I still have mine on my arm, Has inventory's been implemented already? Or the more likely. I've just messed up somehow.

3. I Crash dureing and after fights. Only tested on the hill behind vault 101, tryed and crashed 3 times, which makes me wonder if the server/ mod is working or not.

This just leaves me confused and Not sure if I did this right.
I Made sure that I've updated to 1.7 Like mentioned. I moved vaultmp.exe and vaultmp.dll into the main fallout 3 folder. And default.fos into Documents/My Games/Fallout3 (directly). Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, Havent slept yet and being hungry is no good for le brain @_@

foxtacles
06-24-2011, 10:03 PM
1. When I join a server from the client (eg. The wasteland test server) should I get sent to the Main menu and have to load up my game like I normaly do Like for single player?

It should automatically load the default.fos savegame (folder where you have to place default.fos: Documents/My Games/Fallout3/Saves)

2. I read somewere that we shouldent have our pip boys on our wrists. Though I still have mine on my arm, Has inventory's been implemented already? Or the more likely. I've just messed up somehow.

This is correct, if the game loads the savegame your inventory is totally empty (no pipboy, too). Inventory system is on the way, but not implemented yet ;)

3. I Crash dureing and after fights. Only tested on the hill behind vault 101, tryed and crashed 3 times, which makes me wonder if the server/ mod is working or not.

Crashes may occur as it's still alpha :D The mod modifies the machine code of Fallout3.exe and that's a touchy thing. I'm not a professional reverse engineer so it's likely theres some things I forgot which cause the crashes, but I'm working on it. I'll release a new build this weekend which got some debug functionality bundled, to help resolve problems. This version will also have the "you-cant-see-the-other-player"-bug solved ::)

General Alexander
06-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Everytime when i try to play with a friend i can't see him and instead of him i see NPC "Carter" with a collar. and my friend has the same. Is this "carter" ur skin in other player's game?
and other question: in ur Super mutant companion video - was it npc or another player?

foxtacles
06-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Everytime when i try to play with a friend i can't see him and instead of him i see NPC "Carter" with a collar. and my friend has the same. Is this "carter" ur skin in other player's game?
and other question: in ur Super mutant companion video - was it npc or another player?

At the moment the other player is always Carter. In the super mutant video, I modified the internal NPC configuration from Carter to super mutant ;) Basically you will be able to select a NPC for playing (this should be implemented in the next 1-2 weeks). You may also choose to start with a default character (this is what you start with at the moment, without any armor etc).

I'm not sure if it will be possible to play a creature (super mutant, for example) as I don't know how to change the human model (if this is even possible) to something else.

General Alexander
06-24-2011, 10:58 PM
what about errors? do u have any fixes? any good news?

foxtacles
06-24-2011, 11:09 PM
I fixed the bug which prevented you from seeing the other player ;) I also fixed a huge flaw in the script command pipe, but that won't affect the gameplay directly. I'm working on it - with the upcoming debug build it should also get easier to fix occuring problems faster.

I wasn't able to fix the crashes some of you are experiencing yet, because I can't reproduce them. Everything works fine for me and my tester friend. I didn't test if everything still functions if you fight NPCs or similar, because as of the alpha the only goal is to have a properly working player sync. Of course there will be NPC sync and all the other stuff, but that will take a few more months :P

General Alexander
06-24-2011, 11:40 PM
so u and ur friend dont have any crushes? only if u attack npc or some kind of this?

foxtacles
06-24-2011, 11:43 PM
so u and ur friend dont have any crushes?

Yes, but we didn't test interactions with NPCs as they aren't synced yet anyway ;) It's not uncommon that there are crashes for others though, and that's why the next build will have debug :P

ArathHunter
06-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the confirmations Recycler, These were giveing me a headache lolz ::)

General Alexander
06-26-2011, 05:43 PM
So, what's ur next goal, Recycler? will u work with npc or something else?

foxtacles
06-27-2011, 05:23 PM
I may start a poll soon on what you'd like to see next. Of course I'm always improving player sync and game stability. Besides that, the next feature coming is the inventory system. Basically it will give you the option to give, equip or remove items from the players inventories via script :) Quite an important feature, I guess it's pretty awful to play without any armor / weapons / nuka cola. The weapon sync is probably coming after that, too.

General Alexander
06-27-2011, 05:26 PM
I may start a poll soon on what you'd like to see next. Of course I'm always improving player sync and game stability. Besides that, the next feature coming is the inventory system. Basically it will give you the option to give, equip or remove items from the players inventories via script :) Quite an important feature, I guess it's pretty awful to play without any armor / weapons / nuka cola. The weapon sync is probably coming after that, too.

Very good! Hope we will see it very soon

Goz
06-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Thank god i red this "It should automatically load the default.fos savegame (folder where you have to place default.fos: Documents/My Games/Fallout3/Saves)", now it works fine for me xD

ArathHunter
06-28-2011, 01:16 AM
Wooo Inventory! :D

I'd personaly prefur inventory and weapon syncing first thing. Then NPC Syncing. Then at least we can have a Deathmatch server :D

General Alexander
07-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Recycler, got anything new? will u uploud today? or just tomorrow?

foxtacles
07-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Recycler, got anything new? will u uploud today? or just tomorrow?

I've been working the whole night on re-designing the assembler part of vaultmp, I hope I can finish the same for Fallout: New Vegas today. I think I'll post the new update on Monday / Tuesday because I have to do more tests beforehand ;)

EDIT:

Revision 127 introduces the new (much better) command handling system. This is not an official test release.
https://code.brickster.net/revision.php?repname=Vault-Tec+Multiplayer+Mod&isdir=1&

Genocyber
07-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Hey mate, its toketokepass from youtube. Ive got a question about incorperating my mod into the multi, main concern is that we use many scripts for vehicles that calls objects to the players position. Now since theres going to be multiple players, im wonder how were going to tackle this. Is the mp at the stage when we can start introducing elements of our mod for testing purposes or should we wait a few more months?

foxtacles
07-05-2011, 08:41 PM
I recommend waiting 1-2 more months until the mod is more stable (I'm re-designing some core parts ATM). Then I'll be happy to introduce (at least the basics) of vaultmp to your mod :D You have to further explain the conflicts and problems to expect, though ;)

Genocyber
07-12-2011, 01:32 AM
Cool, Ill speak to one of our scripters as Im probs not the best person to explain due to not being a scripter. The moddb page is up btw, still need to get round to creating the images which ill do when I have some free time in the coming week.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/vault-tec-multiplayer-mod

foxtacles
07-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Wow, looks great, thank you very much :)

General Alexander
07-17-2011, 07:46 AM
When the nex update will be ready, cycler?

foxtacles
07-17-2011, 09:09 PM
1-2 days, the update will introduce the inventory system (not finished though). That means, syncing on the players inventories / equipment ;) A lot more stuff is coming (C++ script plugins, CommandFactory class, JExceptions) before I will focus on game related features again. This mainly due to the fact that the code has to become more robust so we can actually have a well working and stable mod soon :)

General Alexander
07-20-2011, 08:03 PM
I have updated the version till last, changed dafault safe - but still dont have a pipboy.... what's wrong?

foxtacles
07-20-2011, 08:10 PM
The default.fos is still the same, and you won't have a PipBoy. You will be able to automatically equip a PipBoy to every player when the scripting functions are done ;) In the meanwhile, you can use the attached default.fos savegames where you own a PipBoy.